Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine External Hard Disk with Zero Bytes for most folders, Size unchanged

Hi,

I need to know if anyone can help with this difficult issue; I'd be thankful for any assistance. Maybe someone has experienced a similar problem, a situation which I think is in this case unrelated to the external hard disk being formatted for Windows. Unfortunately I can't recall what the format was when it arrived, but I know it was correctly reformatted. It's 3 years old, I believe, Toshiba, but that's all I really know.

This is extremely complicated, I'm afraid, because even though I've categorised this as a Monterey problem, it only happened after I downgraded to Catalina. I have a 2020 Macbook Pro. The downgrade involved a lot of typing but seemed successful... and then this happened. Stupidly, this external hard disk is my only backup disk and it's also the Time Machine backup. At first, the whole disk was zero bytes (size unchanged, so there remained as much used space as there really is on the disk) and I did not have permission to open "Backups.backupdb". There's plenty of room on the disk, btw, so that's not what's wrong.

Then I hooked the disk up to an older Macbook (not mine) and it was fine, all the permissions were normal and all the folders were back and they were functional. When I retried it with my 2020 computer, it looked like all the backups were there, except that the two oldest ones were unopenable and Zero Bytes. So, as it turned out, were almost all the folders inside of each of the openable backups. They either have a minus sign or an down-arrow, and "The folder 'Whatever' can't be opened because you don't have permission to see its contents".

Sorry for the lengthy explanation. Please offer advice if you can.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 3:43 PM

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2022 3:43 PM in response to blackstarliner

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Feb 5, 2022 3:43 PM in response to blackstarliner

If you backed up in Monterey, it is possible Catalina can’t recognize the backup.

Or, the permissions have changed.

You would normally restore from the Time Machine interface (Enter Time Machine from the Time Machine Status menu).

If you do t care if you damage the backup, you could Get Info on the folders and add your user to the sharing & permissions pane. That could render the backup useless for Time Machine.

Time Machine External Hard Disk with Zero Bytes for most folders, Size unchanged

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.