Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I downgrade OS to SIerra that is compatible with 32-bit app? Please send me the instruction to how downgrade the OS.

I currently have OS Monterey 12.2. How can I downgrade to Sierra. Some of my old program do not work on OS Monterey 12.2.

MacBook Pro 15″, 10.11

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 9:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 3:09 AM

Check with the Developers of those 32 bit applications for updates or upGrades to 64 Bit Applications.

Or as per below for a downgrade.

Remember, the computer can Only Downgrade to a version equal to the version it Originally came installed with as new.

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Sierra would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Sierra.

Once that is done read on for preparing the Destination computer 

>> Only works on Intel Based Apple Computers.

1 - Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer.

2- Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. 

3 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

4 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

5 - Formatting for macOS 10.13 High Sierra and below requires HFS Journaled with the GUID Partition Map

6 - Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. 

7 - Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. 

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2022 3:09 AM in response to Yahoouser1

Check with the Developers of those 32 bit applications for updates or upGrades to 64 Bit Applications.

Or as per below for a downgrade.

Remember, the computer can Only Downgrade to a version equal to the version it Originally came installed with as new.

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Sierra would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Sierra.

Once that is done read on for preparing the Destination computer 

>> Only works on Intel Based Apple Computers.

1 - Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer.

2- Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. 

3 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

4 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

5 - Formatting for macOS 10.13 High Sierra and below requires HFS Journaled with the GUID Partition Map

6 - Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. 

7 - Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. 

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

Feb 6, 2022 4:24 AM in response to Yahoouser1

Mojave is the latest version that still supports 32-bit apps.

If your Mac originally came with Catalina, Big Sur or Monterey, you cannot downgrade to a macOS version that supports 32-bits.

If your Mac originally came with an older version, it is a pain to downgrade.

You have to backup your system, get a copy of the older macOS version, create a bootable installer on an external external device, make sure you backed up your system, test the external device to make sure it boots, backup your system, boot the external device, ERASE you internal disk/SSD, this is why you need a backup, install the older macOS, restore your data from the backup device, and hope newer versions of some apps did not change the file formats of their files.

Best to Google how to do this, read carefully all the articles found so you fully understand the potential dangers involved.

Can I downgrade OS to SIerra that is compatible with 32-bit app? Please send me the instruction to how downgrade the OS.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.