Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac does not recognize thumb drive

iMac does not recognize thumb drives. Tried several thumb drives, none work but all work on my windows machine. A few months ago when I last used the same thumb drives on my iMac....no problem all worked fine. Any suggestions?

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 3:35 PM

If they work on WINDOWS, then they may not be formatted for your iMac to recognize.

Using Disk Utility can format them to where you can use them on BOTH Win and Mac. I BELIEVE that 'Ex-Fat' format is what you're looking for.

HOWEVER, if you reformat a drive, you will LOSE all data on it, so be sure to save it BEFORE reformatting.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2022 3:35 PM in response to AnthonyMig

If they work on WINDOWS, then they may not be formatted for your iMac to recognize.

Using Disk Utility can format them to where you can use them on BOTH Win and Mac. I BELIEVE that 'Ex-Fat' format is what you're looking for.

HOWEVER, if you reformat a drive, you will LOSE all data on it, so be sure to save it BEFORE reformatting.

iMac does not recognize thumb drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.