Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro - Previously 'Copied files to Library', but I'd rather them use the sources in place now to save space

I originally imported a lot of clips to my library using the Copy to Library option, as I was new to video and didn't know how well organized I would be. Now that I have the hang of my files staying in place, I'd like to instead point Final Cut Pro to find the clips outside the library so I can delete the space-wasting copies in the library itself.

Is there a way to switch a clip that was copied to the library over to a "Leave files in place" connection instead and free up space?

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 6:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 2:48 AM

Yes, you can do that, but some caution must be taken. We basically want to relink the clips so that they point to the location of the video files stored somewhere else. Relinking is a useful feature of FCP.

This is easier if the clips are stored somewhere outside the library, instead of inside, because there is no built-in way to just delete the files inside the library.

Here is a way to do it:

1) Create a folder somewhere in your drive, let's call it "TEMP" for example.

2) Select the library in FCP, open the Inspector, and click the "Modify Settings" button.

3) Change the Media location from "In Library" to "TEMP", and confirm.

4) Click the "Consolidate" button. This will move all your media out of the library and into the TEMP folder, replacing each file inside the library with a symlink

5) Go to File->Relink Files->Original Media, click All, then Locate All... and make sure to point to the location where the original files are.

6) Confirm that things are working and that your clips are pointing to the correct location,

7) Delete the TEMP folder.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2022 2:48 AM in response to Cannonlars

Yes, you can do that, but some caution must be taken. We basically want to relink the clips so that they point to the location of the video files stored somewhere else. Relinking is a useful feature of FCP.

This is easier if the clips are stored somewhere outside the library, instead of inside, because there is no built-in way to just delete the files inside the library.

Here is a way to do it:

1) Create a folder somewhere in your drive, let's call it "TEMP" for example.

2) Select the library in FCP, open the Inspector, and click the "Modify Settings" button.

3) Change the Media location from "In Library" to "TEMP", and confirm.

4) Click the "Consolidate" button. This will move all your media out of the library and into the TEMP folder, replacing each file inside the library with a symlink

5) Go to File->Relink Files->Original Media, click All, then Locate All... and make sure to point to the location where the original files are.

6) Confirm that things are working and that your clips are pointing to the correct location,

7) Delete the TEMP folder.

Feb 11, 2022 6:05 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for the response! I edit from an external HDD and my library is on it now, but have an external SSD that I want to edit from instead so I want to move the library I think. The SSD has copies of all the clips on it already, so my next question is: how do I tell Final Cut Pro that I want the library to instead be on my SSD (and that the SSD also has all the same video clips to link to)?

Thanks

Feb 12, 2022 1:45 AM in response to Cannonlars

Most of what I wrote still applies.

You want to first consolidate the media to a folder outside the library to a folder outside-but on the SAME HD following the instructions I posted.

This does not duplicate anything but will make the library pretty small.

Close the library (File->Close Library “…”)

Quit FCP and use the Finder to copy the library to the SSD. I suggest that you then rename the library to make it clearer which is which and you don’t end up using the wrong one.

Now double click the new library on the SSD to open it. Relink all files so that the media on the SSD is used.

Final Cut Pro - Previously 'Copied files to Library', but I'd rather them use the sources in place now to save space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.