Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop Youtube from autoplaying videos on Safari 15 on OS 10.15

Even thought I have set the Websites --> Auto-Play section in Safari 15.3 preferences to "Never Auto-Play" for all websites YouTube still auto plays videos and I do not like that. Is there a way to stop auto-play videos in YouTube that actually works?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 10:58 PM

Similar questions

14 replies

Feb 7, 2022 3:29 AM in response to chuckthetekkie

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

This will include CleanMyMac 

This will include BitDefender 

This will included Norton Antivirus

Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Feb 7, 2022 5:06 AM in response to chuckthetekkie

Q - 1 - MacUpdater.app 25 notifications

A - 1 - Unless one has a Paid Account - this site is know to Bundle some of their Software with Malware and Adware. See A-2 below for possible solution . Any of this could be the source of YouTube playing even when designated not to auto-play

Q -2 More than one antivirus app - This computer has multiple antivirus apps installed.

Antivirus software: Apple, CleanMyMac, and One Periodic

A -2 There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. Remove them as per Developers Specific Instructions.

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Should “ Certain & Specific Software “ referenced from above be installed - it will negatively impact macOS. It is suggested, to download directly from a respected ASC Contributor, the application Malwarebytes for Mac

It is free or paid for added features. 

Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware. Once done, restart computer and test.

Q - 3 Configuration Files: /etc/hosts - Count: 100481

A -3 This is totally not normal. To be honest - not sure of a 100% correct solution. Perhaps a More Experienced Contributor will pickup this question with some insights and solution. This could be another indication of the computer is badly infested with Adware and Malware. If so, the Malwarebytes may remedy this

Q -4 - Kernel panics - This system has experienced kernel panics that could be related to 3rd party software.

A - 4 - Review the Kernels extension installed from this report and investigate which one(S) are the cause and or need removal or updating

Q - 5 - No Time Machine backup - Time Machine backup not found.

A - 5 - A Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS.

Feb 7, 2022 5:23 AM in response to PRP_53

MacUpdater doesn't install any malware. In fact the developer refuses to monitor any software that ever bundled malware with a useful tool like FIleZilla once did.

Just because Windows viruses don't affect Mac doesn't mean I don't want to pass them to my Windows machines.

One Periodic is not an antivirus but the Hands Off! app that is used to prevent apps from phoning home.

The Hosts file is perfectly normal as I installed a custom one to block known malicious sites.

The kernel panics are very rare and only seem to happen when I have a thunderbolt device plugged in but I could go for weeks without a crash using the same Thunderbolt device and it's not 3rd party Kernel extensions as I've had at least one panic on a fresh install with nothing else installed. It could be related to the non functioning Thunderbolt port on my MacBook Pro.

What is ASC?

Stop Youtube from autoplaying videos on Safari 15 on OS 10.15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.