Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch 2017 macOS Big Sur v11.5.2 No output sound device and thus won't play any sound.

In the System Preferences>Sound>Output, no device is detected. Not even the internal speakers. When I plugged in a headphone in the jack, still no output device.

When the Mac booted up, there was a sound so hardware-wise, speakers are fine. Only the OS can't detect the hardware.

Playing YouTube video shows max volume but no sound.

Podcast app even refuse to play any episode.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 11:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 7:53 AM

Start with the Restart in Safe Mode by immediately holding the SHIFT ket at restart. This will do a repair Disk, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The loading process may take some time and this is normal.

Once logged in - test if the issue is presented.

If Not presented in Safe Mode - this may indicated something in the User Account.

To Further trouble shoot the issue >> Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac for testing purposes.

Log Out of Original account and into the dummy account and test again for the should issue.

If the issue is still present in the dummy account - that pretty much confirms this is a System Wide Issue

Do post back the results of above trouble shooting and where( if at all ) the issue is no longer presented.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2022 7:53 AM in response to Nathaniel_Alino

Start with the Restart in Safe Mode by immediately holding the SHIFT ket at restart. This will do a repair Disk, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The loading process may take some time and this is normal.

Once logged in - test if the issue is presented.

If Not presented in Safe Mode - this may indicated something in the User Account.

To Further trouble shoot the issue >> Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac for testing purposes.

Log Out of Original account and into the dummy account and test again for the should issue.

If the issue is still present in the dummy account - that pretty much confirms this is a System Wide Issue

Do post back the results of above trouble shooting and where( if at all ) the issue is no longer presented.

Feb 7, 2022 1:21 PM in response to Nathaniel_Alino

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Feb 8, 2022 8:15 PM in response to PRP_53

Hi Phillips,

Prior to reading your suggestion, I also tried booting in Safe Mode. The problem persisted in Safe Mode.

I also tried logging in as Guest. No sound as well.

There was a pending OS update and so I updated anyway. My system is now macOS Monterey v12.2. After the reboots, the sound is back. I can now see “Internal Speakers”, type “Built-in” as Sound Output.

Initially, I fear it was a hardware fault since this is 4 years+ computer. So it remains a mystery why it was solved by upgrading the OS. Anyway the problem is gone and my computer is usable again for YouTube watching.

Thank you P. Phillips and Old Toad for suggesting a troubleshooting method. The booting to Safe Mode fix one nagging inconvenience: my mac used to take a very long time to boot. Most of the times the boot fail and reboots. the Safe Mode could have fixed that issue.

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch 2017 macOS Big Sur v11.5.2 No output sound device and thus won't play any sound.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.