Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Update won't update

I'm running 10.15.7 on my 27" iMac (2018). When I go to Systems Prefs, and select Software Update, it throws up the "Checking For Updates...." and just spins and spins until I cancel the request--sometimes after trying for 30 minutes.

I think that the software driving Software Update has been corrupted. How do I fix/reset/replace?

Thanks!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 6:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 8:36 AM

Yes of course you can wait. If you get any messages that ask you to update you can ignore them and update when you want.

As for your legacy apps, I would recommend either updating them or replacing them with 64 bit alternatives as you will need to do that at some point anyhow. Trying to stay in the past as a long term plan is not a wise strategy however for the short term it is fine. What I mean is at some point you will be forced to upgrade and the longer you wait the more painful upgrading legacy apps is.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2022 8:36 AM in response to erikfromnewark

Yes of course you can wait. If you get any messages that ask you to update you can ignore them and update when you want.

As for your legacy apps, I would recommend either updating them or replacing them with 64 bit alternatives as you will need to do that at some point anyhow. Trying to stay in the past as a long term plan is not a wise strategy however for the short term it is fine. What I mean is at some point you will be forced to upgrade and the longer you wait the more painful upgrading legacy apps is.

Feb 12, 2022 10:43 AM in response to erikfromnewark

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Feb 7, 2022 7:35 AM in response to erikfromnewark

Please restart the computer in Safe Mode per the directions in the  How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support link. 

Note: If you are using a wireless keyboard please either plug it in using the supplied Lightning cable that shipped with it. If you are using a legacy keyboard or a third-party keyboard that does not have re-charging abilities, please use any USB keyboard. Also note that a Safe Mode restart may require you to hold down the shift key for up to 5 minutes before the computer starts in Safe Mode. You will know it is in Safe Mode when you see “Safe Mode” in the upper right of the display.

After restarting in Safe Mode, then upgrade Mac OS and then restart normally.

Feb 7, 2022 8:50 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I agree. However, the developer of the software in question has lost interested in updating his software and has ghosted the legion of his product's users who have been pleading with him to update, sell the code, or open it up so someone else can update it. This has been going on since before Mojave. It's not a 32-bit problem (I'm running Catalina with it and it's fine, but I updated my MacBook Pro to Big Sur and that broke the software in question).

At some point, I know I'll have to find another solution, but the infuriating thing is that only one email client (Outlook) does something like this (filing emails on the fly, when you have complex filing structures), and nothing else comes close. I'd rather stick with Mail, but I may have to migrate to Outlook if something doesn't change soon.

Software Update won't update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.