Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What disk format to use for Time machine backups using OS Monterey

How do I reformat and reuse a previously partitioned (Mac OS extended journaled) disk on an external hard drive disk to use with a different computer using OS Monterey ? I erased the full partition and renamed the partition but now it doesn't show up as available to use for Time Machine on iMac with OS Monterey.

Do I need to change the format of the HD partition to APFS to be able to use Time Machine with OS Monterey?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 8:49 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Feb 8, 2022 9:53 AM in response to deepdiveriMacuser

This is a screen shot from Disk utility showing the external drives, but I also just noticed that the External Hard Drive where this new APFS container and APFS volume resides is now labeled Apple disk image media. The other two partitions shown on the Apple disk image media drive are both Mac OS extended journaled partitions. What is the difference between External Drive and the now labeled Disk Images: Apple disk image media?

Feb 8, 2022 3:05 AM in response to deepdiveriMacuser

It should automatically convert it to APFS, but you could try that.

I have used the first partition as a direct-connected backup, but not any subsequent partitions. I used that as a network backup destination.

You could use Volumes for the separate backups onto the same drive, but you must configure those using diskutil in Terminal. Disk Utility cannot correctly create them (last time I checked was 12.1).

Feb 8, 2022 9:11 AM in response to BlueberryLover

Thanks everyone for your replies, Yes, I made a separate APFS formatted container with a APFS volume on an external Time Capsule hard drive that was previously used by Time Machine with a Mac OS extended journaled format. Part of the drive is still in Mac OS extended format. Time Machine does not seem to recognize this new APFS volume to use for a backup on this external drive when I open Time Machine preferences.

Is there a way that I can get Time Machine to recognize just this APFS volume on this disk? Or do I need to erase the entire external hard drive and reformat the drive as APFS in order for Time Machine to be able to recognize it and use it as a back up volume?

Feb 8, 2022 9:35 AM in response to deepdiveriMacuser

More info and a Follow up question:

I made a separate APFS formatted container with a APFS volume on an external Time Capsule hard drive that was previously used by Time Machine with a Mac OS extended journaled format. Part of the drive is still in Mac OS extended format. Time Machine does not seem to recognize this new APFS volume to use for a backup on this external drive when I open Time Machine preferences.

Is there a way that I can get Time Machine to recognize just this APFS volume on this disk? Or do I need to erase the entire external hard drive and reformat the drive as APFS in order for Time Machine to be able to recognize it and use it as a back up volume?

Feb 8, 2022 11:39 AM in response to lllaass

The External hard disk is connected via hardwired Ethernet cable. The other 2 partitions formatted with Mac OS extended on this disk are now shown as disk image volumes, and I can access files and images on them.

The Owner for all of these is now shown as Disabled.

I used Disk Utility by first erasing one Mac OS extended partition and reformatting the partition to create the APFS container and APFS volume on the external hard disk. I didn't erase this entire disk or change the other 2 remaining Mac OS extended partitions.

What disk format to use for Time machine backups using OS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.