Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook won't sleep

After updating to Monterey, my MacBook will no longer sleep when I close the lid. This was always working with Big Sur even with external monitors connected. How do I fix this?

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 5:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 5:27 PM

Hello,

This article has things to check when this issue occurs. I am including the bullet about connected devices because your mention external monitors but think one of the earlier points form the article is a more likely cause.

If your Mac sleeps or wakes unexpectedly - Apple Support

• "Connected storage and devices: Malfunctioning USB and Thunderbolt storage and devices may keep your Mac from going to sleep. Disconnect those devices and see if your Mac goes to sleep. If it does, reconnect each item, one at a time, until you find the one that’s malfunctioning. Contact that device’s manufacturer for more information."

I hope this helps.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2022 5:27 PM in response to NParkin

Hello,

This article has things to check when this issue occurs. I am including the bullet about connected devices because your mention external monitors but think one of the earlier points form the article is a more likely cause.

If your Mac sleeps or wakes unexpectedly - Apple Support

• "Connected storage and devices: Malfunctioning USB and Thunderbolt storage and devices may keep your Mac from going to sleep. Disconnect those devices and see if your Mac goes to sleep. If it does, reconnect each item, one at a time, until you find the one that’s malfunctioning. Contact that device’s manufacturer for more information."

I hope this helps.

Feb 8, 2022 7:06 AM in response to Scott-he-him

The only thing physically connected to the Mac is the docking station to run the extra monitors.

Before the update to Monterey was installed yesterday, all monitors would go dark when closing the lid on the MacBook and it would go to sleep. Yes, I can make it go to sleep in the Apple menu, but it wakes back up when I close the lid. Being a cat owner, my end of work routine is turn off the Magic Mouse and Keyboard then close the lid. Everything goes to sleep and doesn't wake up until I open the lid and wake it myself.

Another thing I noticed when the lid closes, now it switches to the two remaining monitors then the monitor order flips as well. Very strange and annoying.

Feb 16, 2022 7:21 PM in response to NParkin

My 2020 MacBook 13 Pro is doing the same. when I press the lock button to put to sleep it will lock then stay lit up the whole time. do it when connected to external monitor as well as when just the notebook. I also think it isn't sleeping fully when in clamshell mode, no monitor hooked to it as it has been dead every morning this week when closed with full charge.

MacBook won't sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.