Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi connection unstable on MacBook Pro M1

I work as a programmer in IT company. I bought MacBook Pro M1 because I want to use it as primary computer for my work.

I have some online calls via Slack (chat and voice/video calls application used in company) with company employees who work remotely. My Wi-Fi connection is not stable on this MacBook, I often get interruption of video calls (1-2 seconds), so it's very annoying when you have to repeat what you said or ask someone to repeat ;-( It does not look good for device that cost that much money ;-(

The company have some (4 or 5) ubiquity access points (5Ghz) in different locations to cover office with Wi-Fi signal. I run ping in console to gateway and I see spikes that are above 100ms, sometimes packet won't get any response. There are no any other devices that have same problem in our office (MacBook M1 Air, other MacBook M1 with same parameters as mine, older MacBooks, Windows users, Android phones). My Android phone in the same place have stable 2-30 ms pings and video call is very stable.

Problem is occurring only on the 2nd floor (where are multiple Access Points with the same network configuration - SSID, password etc.). The company owns one room in ground floor and there is a same Access point (but only one) and there is no such problem. Connections seems to be more stable there. I have not seen this issue also when I'm at home (one router from UPC ISP, 5Ghz).

What I have tried so far:

Nothing of this helped. Any other suggestions? Maybe my MacBook has broken wi-fi antena or some hardware issue?

Here are detailed results:

Example ping response (on the android phone in the same location there is a stable 2-25ms at the same time)

➜  ~ ping 192.168.3.1
PING 192.168.3.1 (192.168.3.1): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 192.168.3.1: icmp_seq=166 ttl=64 time=5.958 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.3.1: icmp_seq=167 ttl=64 time=2.461 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.3.1: icmp_seq=168 ttl=64 time=2.482 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.3.1: icmp_seq=169 ttl=64 time=2.675 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.3.1: icmp_seq=170 ttl=64 time=5.778 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.3.1: icmp_seq=171 ttl=64 time=6.373 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.3.1: icmp_seq=172 ttl=64 time=2.532 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 173
64 bytes from 192.168.3.1: icmp_seq=174 ttl=64 time=1.865 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.3.1: icmp_seq=175 ttl=64 time=6.302 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.3.1: icmp_seq=176 ttl=64 time=6.177 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.3.1: icmp_seq=177 ttl=64 time=7.584 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.3.1: icmp_seq=178 ttl=64 time=6.492 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.3.1: icmp_seq=179 ttl=64 time=2.879 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.3.1: icmp_seq=180 ttl=64 time=2.429 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.3.1: icmp_seq=181 ttl=64 time=3.922 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 182
64 bytes from 192.168.3.1: icmp_seq=183 ttl=64 time=2.529 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.3.1: icmp_seq=184 ttl=64 time=6.225 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.3.1: icmp_seq=185 ttl=64 time=3.355 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.3.1: icmp_seq=220 ttl=64 time=2.670 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.3.1: icmp_seq=221 ttl=64 time=4.473 ms
Request timeout for icmp_seq 222
64 bytes from 192.168.3.1: icmp_seq=223 ttl=64 time=6.113 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.3.1: icmp_seq=224 ttl=64 time=55.452 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.3.1: icmp_seq=225 ttl=64 time=5.831 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.3.1: icmp_seq=226 ttl=64 time=4.826 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.3.1: icmp_seq=236 ttl=64 time=2.591 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.3.1: icmp_seq=237 ttl=64 time=6.684 ms
^C
--- 192.168.3.1 ping statistics ---
238 packets transmitted, 234 packets received, 1.7% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 1.496/5.158/121.201/9.274 ms
➜  ~ 

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 12:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 6:45 AM

Wi-Fi slow — current accommodations include:

• Updating to the very latest version of Monterey.

• Checking the [√] ask to Join new networks check box:

AND purging the list of potentially-available networks in this pane:

System preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > (Advanced) ...

... to leave ONLY the networks you might really join:

>> all of these reduce the number of networks your Mac is evaluating on a moment-by moment basis, looking for a better connection.

• set IPv6 to “link-local only”, instead of on or off.

This new setting also may be contributing to instability. I suggest you turn it off:

If you continue to have trouble after using these steps, create a new named Network "Location" -- a collection of settings applied "all at once" when you select it. Every new named "Location" you create starts with all defaults, which lets you walk away from any bogus settings that might be causing you trouble:

How to use network locations on your Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202480

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2022 6:45 AM in response to daris91

Wi-Fi slow — current accommodations include:

• Updating to the very latest version of Monterey.

• Checking the [√] ask to Join new networks check box:

AND purging the list of potentially-available networks in this pane:

System preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > (Advanced) ...

... to leave ONLY the networks you might really join:

>> all of these reduce the number of networks your Mac is evaluating on a moment-by moment basis, looking for a better connection.

• set IPv6 to “link-local only”, instead of on or off.

This new setting also may be contributing to instability. I suggest you turn it off:

If you continue to have trouble after using these steps, create a new named Network "Location" -- a collection of settings applied "all at once" when you select it. Every new named "Location" you create starts with all defaults, which lets you walk away from any bogus settings that might be causing you trouble:

How to use network locations on your Mac - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202480

Feb 8, 2022 7:33 PM in response to daris91

Hello daris91,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. Having a reliable connection to Wi-Fi, and we'd be happy to investigate this issue further.

Which macOS version is currently installed on your Mac? Apple Menu > About This Mac.

To get started, please try the troubleshooting steps, and recommendations in the following links:

If your Mac doesn't connect to the Internet over Wi-Fi

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Feb 8, 2022 11:43 PM in response to KMB_12

I'm using Monterey 12.2 (21D49).

I saw these recommendations before. I have no direct access to access points located in my office (I can ask admins to change/verify something), but as you can see on the wifi-scan screenshot attached above their configuration is one of recommended settings (WPA 2 Personal, same SSID and passwords, not hidden). My location services are disabled. I have no any external USB devices connected to MacBook.

Wireless diagnostics tool shows that everything is correct but it isn't on the 2nd floor ;-(

Feb 21, 2022 1:06 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

evaluating Roaming to a different channel, band, or Router:

RSSI is raw signal strength of your current connection. if you are within a few feet of your Router, numbers about -50 indicate a good strong signal.

The farther you move away, the closer to -70 these number get. At -70, your Mac starts to evaluate alternative connections in preparation for Roaming to a different channel, band, or Router. it is searching for a connection better than -67 to switch.

To my great surprise, a snapshot of ALL available connections and their current RSSI and Noise are shown in:

 menu >about this Mac > (system report) < Network > Wi-Fi

Feb 10, 2022 5:48 PM in response to daris91

Hello daris91,

Thanks for getting back to us with those additional details. We understand the importance of having a good Wi-Fi connection on your Mac, and we'd like to help.

macOS 12.2.1 was recently released, so if you haven’t updated to that, let’s do so now:

Back up your Mac

Update macOS on Mac

Also, let's try to test this issue in Safe Mode, and in a new user account. Check out these helpful links:

Start up your Mac in safe mode

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

These steps will help us isolate this issue further.

Let us know the results. We'll be looking forward to your response.

Cheers!

Feb 21, 2022 10:42 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hello again,

Sorry for late response, I was not able to check what you mentioned because I left my MacBook in customer service in my city to help me with this issue. They reinstalled system (Monterey 12.2.1) erasing all configuration just to be sure everything is in default settings. They told me that they didn't found any hardware issues (run diagnostics tests) and they can't reproduce this issue with their network.

I brought back the computer from them to check whether reinstalling system helped and it looks like the Wi-Fi issue still exists in my office :/

It might be just my assumptions but I think that when there are less people in work (for example at morning or evening) these drops does not occur that often and are less noticeable. In my office there are many MacBooks (some older, some newer), iPhones, Android phones and Windows/Linux laptops/PCs. As far as I know I'm the only one who sees these issues while video conferencing.

At first I thought it might be due to AWDL protocol and "channel hoping" (https://medium.com/@mariociabarra/wifriedx-in-depth-look-at-yosemite-wifi-and-awdl-airdrop-41a93eb22e48), as there are many iOS/OSX devices (and few AppleTVs) in my company, but disabling awdl0 interface (either via `sudo ifconfig awdl0 down` or via WiFried app from that blog post) does not help much to the stability of video calls. I have Bluetooth disabled. I installed Wireshark and now scanning awdl0 interface gives no output but ping drops sometimes still occur.

Higher pings seem to be a little correlated to MDNS frames in Wireshark (on en0 interface), but I'm not sure it's the cause of drops

These entries are showing up in almost every second as you can see on screenshot (Time column), is that ok? Could it be that when there are a lot of devices near constantly sending these packets they blocks sending standard wi-fi communication to my MacBook? If so, why other MacBooks in my company does not see this issue?

Feb 21, 2022 1:05 PM in response to daris91

you can also get macOS to "monitor" your connection.

Hold the Option key while you click the Wi-Fi Icon in the menubar. you get snapshot of pertinent information, including RSSI that looks like this:

if you choose Network Diagnostics, there is an option there to Monitor your connection, and just leave the window open in the background. If an alarming event occurs, you will get an alert.

Feb 10, 2022 7:32 PM in response to daris91

Hi Daris.

There are a couple of things that I would look at.

Do you have a stable wifi connection in some other locations, such as at home?

If yes, the issue could be with the configuration or settings of the APs (access points) at work. I have seen this before in a work environment.

Do the work APs have the latest patches and firmware installed?

Approximately 2 1/2 years ago (summer 2019) when the major Canadian cellular carriers were upgrading/deploying 5G and making their networks IPv6-compatible, Mac users who wanted to tether to their iPhone (on Bell's network) had to modify the wifi network settings on their MacBooks to exclude IPv6.

I just took a quick look at the network settings on my Mac but did not see the same options in advanced network settings.

Suggestion: Try using your smartphone as a mobile hot spot while at work, to compare it to the stability of your office wifi on your M1.

Possible work around: Get a USB-C to Ethernet adapter for your MacBook.

Yes. I know that it defeats the purpose of having a portable computer.

You may want to at least use it for video conferences.

Howard

Feb 21, 2022 10:40 AM in response to daris91

Do you have a stable wifi connection in some other locations, such as at home?

At home connection seems to be stable.

If yes, the issue could be with the configuration or settings of the APs (access points) at work. I have seen this before in a work environment.

Everything is better on the ground floor where there is only one room with one AP and less people in here (but still a few iPhones/Androids and MacBooks/Windows laptops). There is a same wifi Access Point with same configuration as on the 2nd floor.

Grant Bennet-Alder, I tried these network settings before, nothing helped.

Feb 21, 2022 12:25 PM in response to daris91

Daris, try keeping a log of network speed and when your connection drops.

I suggest that you open a ticket with your office's network team.

Have them identify the no. of devices that are connected whenever you lose connectivity.

If there is a pattern, showing a correlation between network saturation and your drops, that means that they need to install one or two more APs.

Howard

Wifi connection unstable on MacBook Pro M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.