Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change icon of Documents folder in macOS Monterey

I use to personalize the appearance of my Mac by changing icons of folders - this works fine in Monterey, too, with the exception of the Documents folder. I just cannot change that folder icon by pasting it in cmd-I, like for all other folders. Most probably, this is a permissions issue, but I cannot find information about this. Can anyone please point me to a solution? I have seen that someone else had asked the same question for Big Sur, but never received an answer, unfortunately.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 3:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2022 8:53 AM

I found a workaround: You need to activate the root account temporarily.

See ----> How to enable the root user on your Mac or change your root password - Apple Support

After loggin in as a root user I was able to modify the icon for the "Documents" folder.

⚠️ Don not forget to deactivate the root user again when finished, because keeping it active is a security issue. ☝️

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2022 8:53 AM in response to jeffreythefrog

I found a workaround: You need to activate the root account temporarily.

See ----> How to enable the root user on your Mac or change your root password - Apple Support

After loggin in as a root user I was able to modify the icon for the "Documents" folder.

⚠️ Don not forget to deactivate the root user again when finished, because keeping it active is a security issue. ☝️

Feb 18, 2022 6:33 AM in response to fof

fof wrote:

I use to personalize the appearance of my Mac by changing icons of folders - this works fine in Monterey, too, with the exception of the Documents folder. I just cannot change that folder icon by pasting it in cmd-I, like for all other folders. Most probably, this is a permissions issue, but I cannot find information about this. Can anyone please point me to a solution? I have seen that someone else had asked the same question for Big Sur, but never received an answer, unfortunately.

Create your own folder if you have an issue and customize that...

In the right side of the Dock, using stacks you can show a custom look..

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/use-folders-in-the-dock-mchl231f08fb/mac

for example:

Mar 8, 2022 8:37 AM in response to SFugenzi

why apple decided to lock the changing of the documents folder icon is a question that only apple can answer.

and other than sending feedback to apple, there is nothing that can be done about it. Feedback - macOS - Apple

i've been searching for a solution to this since catalina, and so far i haven't found one anywhere. sorry. not even a third party hack.

Mar 8, 2022 5:29 PM in response to SFugenzi

thanks @SFugenzi!! i've been searching for a way to change the documents folder icon for quite some time now. i'm usually not very eager to turn off macOS security components. but since you successfully changed the icon, and the OP also had success using your method, i figured i would give it a try. it worked like a charm! thanks again!

PS: and, yes, i disabled root user afterwards. :)

Change icon of Documents folder in macOS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.