Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Photo library created with Monterey be opened with Big Sur?

I had Monterey installed but have reverted to Big Sur. My Photos library won't open the library created with Monterey. It insists I upgrade Photos to open. Does this mean I have to revert back to/reinstall Monterey to access the photos?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 3:08 AM

The format of the Monterey Library is different from Big Sur. Photos 6 on Big Sur will not be able to read it.

if you have been using iCloud Photos an your Library is in iCloud you can create a new Big Sur version of the library by creating a new, empty Library on your Big Sur Mac and let the library download from iCloud Photos. It is the only safe and lossless way to downgrade a Photos Library to an older system version.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2022 3:08 AM in response to Crich52

The format of the Monterey Library is different from Big Sur. Photos 6 on Big Sur will not be able to read it.

if you have been using iCloud Photos an your Library is in iCloud you can create a new Big Sur version of the library by creating a new, empty Library on your Big Sur Mac and let the library download from iCloud Photos. It is the only safe and lossless way to downgrade a Photos Library to an older system version.

Feb 8, 2022 9:01 AM in response to Crich52

Usually (always?) macOS & Photos upgrades updates also the Photos library (at least if the user opens it).

You could restore the old Photos library from a backup. You do have a backup?

Or install Monterey on another internal or external volume, export images and movies out and import to a Big Sur Photos library. Yes, that is a major hassle.

Or bite the bullet and upgrade back to Monterey. Last autumn I reverted to Big Sur from Monterey (despite carefully pre-testing all my mission critical apps on an external Monterey volume. But I digress...) but I am very soon going back to Monterey. Thanks to Carbon Copy Cloner backup(s), this was quite easy and fast.

Can Photo library created with Monterey be opened with Big Sur?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.