Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to make password visible on macbook pro login screen

My macbook pro keyboard has issues - keys sometimes double-stroke or might do nothing at all when pressed. That makes typing in a 20-character password especially challenging when you cannot see what you have typed. Most people are smart enough to know if someone is looking over their should. So it seems pretty lame to not have an option to display the password.

Maybe Apple could get that fixed? I expect more from Apple.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 7:13 PM

Thanks for the reply. This is something Apple should reconsider. With businesses requiring extra long and complex passwords these days, it gets difficult to type them even with a good keyboard. I believe it is considered best practice now to allow the password to be shown. Even Microsoft Windows allows it.

I understand why programmers think this is a security risk, but is it a security risk when you are alone in a room? The added security is like the person wearing their N95 mask alone in their car driving down the road.

Sure, leaving it as is isn't going to break apple, but it will cause support calls (like mine yesterday) and frustrated users.

Picture is from Windows 10:

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2022 7:13 PM in response to HWTech

Thanks for the reply. This is something Apple should reconsider. With businesses requiring extra long and complex passwords these days, it gets difficult to type them even with a good keyboard. I believe it is considered best practice now to allow the password to be shown. Even Microsoft Windows allows it.

I understand why programmers think this is a security risk, but is it a security risk when you are alone in a room? The added security is like the person wearing their N95 mask alone in their car driving down the road.

Sure, leaving it as is isn't going to break apple, but it will cause support calls (like mine yesterday) and frustrated users.

Picture is from Windows 10:

Feb 8, 2022 4:10 PM in response to honeybees13

No, showing the typed password will never be a feature. AFAIK, passwords have always been hidden.

You can use an external keyboard, or you can enable the virtual keyboard so you can use the virtual keyboard to login. I believe the virtual keyboard can be enabled using the instructions in this Apple article:

Use the Accessibility Keyboard on Mac - Apple Support

Edit: You should get the laptop repaired. Or you should change the password to characters that don't have issues.

how to make password visible on macbook pro login screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.