Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Face recognition

I took a photo of myself with a different phone and was able to get my phone to unlock using the photo. What is the point of face recognition if anyone can break into my phone using a photo? Is there away to strengthen the face recognition security?

iPhone 13 mini, 15

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 3:14 PM

If you were holding the photo and looking at the phone when you tried to unlock it, then the camera saw you, not the photo. The Face ID uses 3D technology to map the face and should not unlock using a photo. If you are not sure, then lock the phone, then have someone that cannot open your device with Face ID, give them the photo, leave the room so you are no where near where the iPhone can "see" your face and see if they can unlock the device. Have them bring it to you unlocked if they can.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2022 3:14 PM in response to Curious2022

If you were holding the photo and looking at the phone when you tried to unlock it, then the camera saw you, not the photo. The Face ID uses 3D technology to map the face and should not unlock using a photo. If you are not sure, then lock the phone, then have someone that cannot open your device with Face ID, give them the photo, leave the room so you are no where near where the iPhone can "see" your face and see if they can unlock the device. Have them bring it to you unlocked if they can.

Face recognition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.