Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have 3 different iPhones that I use according to where I'm working and what I'm doing. I will switch the SIM card to whichever phone I will use at the time. Is it possible to do the same with an eSIM?

I have 3 different iPhones that I use according to where I'm working and what I'm doing. I will switch the SIM card to whichever phone I will use at the time. Is it possible to do the same with an eSIM?

iPhone SE

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 2:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 3:17 PM

No, because the eSIM cannot be inserted or removed from the device. The eSIM has to be activated by the carrier, and there is a specific way to do it, and I believe that having that changed in the manner you describe would not work. My guess is that you have 3 phones that all support the eSIM? Changing the eSIM requires the carrier to do.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2022 3:17 PM in response to JnS42-__

No, because the eSIM cannot be inserted or removed from the device. The eSIM has to be activated by the carrier, and there is a specific way to do it, and I believe that having that changed in the manner you describe would not work. My guess is that you have 3 phones that all support the eSIM? Changing the eSIM requires the carrier to do.

Feb 8, 2022 3:28 PM in response to JnS42-__

Actually, you can (sorry Chris4203) according to Apple documentation. See the note about "multiple eSim in the "Set up your cellular plan with eSIM" section of this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044

iPhoneSE is dual-sim (well, multi-SIM) and starts at $400 ($450 for 128 GB model). iPhone 11/12/13 do as well.

You can add one on a phone call with carrier (they tell you website that has a QR code) or by entering account numbers. Then switch between eSims at will ... only one active at a time though.

IMPORTANT NOTE: To use SIMs from different carriers requires an UNLOCKED phone.

Feb 8, 2022 3:59 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thx folks. I forgot that I could just text Apple support from the app and then asked them directly. Interestingly enough, the exchange unfolded almost verbatim to this one with the first response being a "no" along the same lines as the top comment until I clarified that I understood the nature of the eSIM in that it was not a tangible card that could be switched over and that was not my intent. I explained that the 3 phones in question were all compatible iPhones and had all previously has service set up on the same account I am currently using. I asked if it would not simply be a matter of requesting the QR code on the phone I wished to use and transferring the service as if I was doing it with a new phone. I was told that this would work but to make sure with my carrier. I took screenshots of the chat to maybe help anyone in the future with the same question.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.