Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP!! Trying to reinstall Mac OS after erasing hard drive and having problems.

So I followed the instructions to erase the hard drive and then reinstall macOS on my old MacBook Pro (High Sierra) so I could sell it. I clicked on Reinstall MacOS and it seemed to be going okay, but obviously I did something incorrectly because I got this message: "Could not create a preboot volume for APFS install."

So I inserted an old MacOS install disk and it did nothing and the disk will NOT eject.

Is there anything I can do at this point? Many thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 4:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 5:01 PM

reboot Mac and hold down mouse to eject the disk.

try this for the install but if you erase the internal drive then choose APFS if installing High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur or Monterey. Prior use HFS+

9 replies

Feb 9, 2022 7:47 AM in response to smartblondegirl

Perfect. The next owner will use software update to update the 10.6 to its latest version. After applying ALL available updates, at the Apple online store will appear, and they can proceed to UPGRADE to something more modern.

10.11 El Capitan is recommenced as a waypoint before trying to move beyond that point, because fully updated El Capitan contains a more modern Mac App Store that makes going beyond 10.11 easier.

If you were running 10.13, then they can use this article to find and install their own (tagged with their Apple-ID) 10.13:

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Feb 8, 2022 7:02 PM in response to DonH49

I honestly can't remember exactly how I got the disk to eject (it was 2+ hours ago) but it's out. :-) Then I did the Option + Command + R and it uses internet recovery to run the installation from Apple’s servers. All good to go. Thanks so much!

Quick question: since I erased the hard drive first when I started all this (hopefully), and after doing Option + Command + R finally got the "Welcome" screen--can I assume the hard drive truly is erased and all my data is gone?

HELP!! Trying to reinstall Mac OS after erasing hard drive and having problems.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.