Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install Monterey using terminal with installer in USB

Hi, I'm trying to clean install Monterey to MacBook Pro intel. I made installer prepared in USB. Now in recovery mode, I cannot start the installer. I used the command "open", but denied as "command not found". Is there any way I can install in this set up?

Thank you for your help,

Hayato

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 12:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 12:54 AM

Here are some steps that may help.

If you have a MacBook Pro from 2017 or earlier:

1. Boot to Startup Manager by holding Option (⌥) or Alt during startup.
  2. Select your bootable installer. If your bootable installer does not start up, try creating a bootable installer again or follow the steps below.
  3. Follow the prompts to install macOS Monterey from the bootable installer.

If you have a MacBook Pro with the Apple T2 Security Chip:

1. Boot to macOS Recovery over the internet by holding Option-Command-R during startup.
  2. Follow the prompts to install macOS Monterey from macOS Recovery.

If you are offered an older version of macOS, install that version, set up your Mac, and then upgrade to macOS Monterey.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2022 12:54 AM in response to hayato80

Here are some steps that may help.

If you have a MacBook Pro from 2017 or earlier:

1. Boot to Startup Manager by holding Option (⌥) or Alt during startup.
  2. Select your bootable installer. If your bootable installer does not start up, try creating a bootable installer again or follow the steps below.
  3. Follow the prompts to install macOS Monterey from the bootable installer.

If you have a MacBook Pro with the Apple T2 Security Chip:

1. Boot to macOS Recovery over the internet by holding Option-Command-R during startup.
  2. Follow the prompts to install macOS Monterey from macOS Recovery.

If you are offered an older version of macOS, install that version, set up your Mac, and then upgrade to macOS Monterey.

Feb 9, 2022 1:44 AM in response to Sean_W.

Thanks for the comment. The installer could be selected and started the installation, but failed during the process, then turned to "Mac starts up to a circle with a line through it"...

Maybe my USB installer was not prepared properly...

In the recovery mode, there are options such as "re-install macOS Big Sur"; I will try that and then update to Monterey. I was hoping I could install Monterey at once, but...

Thank you!

Install Monterey using terminal with installer in USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.