Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air m1 battery health 96% after 6 months of use and 109 cycles

My m1 MacBook Air battery health has suddenly declined to 96% after just 6 months of use, with 109 cycles done. Is this normal behaviour?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 2:04 PM

Rechargeable batteries can lose some initial charge quickly and the last for a long time at that level before losing capacity, some will hold initial capacity for a long time and then start to lose capacity, some will start slowly losing capacity from day one, and any other possible combinations.  It is just the nature of rechargeable batteries.

FWIW, don't try to micromanage your battery and just use the Mac.  If you reach a point in time where the working time on battery is not long enough to meet your needs, then start to worry or just get the battery replaced.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2022 2:04 PM in response to vedaant240

Rechargeable batteries can lose some initial charge quickly and the last for a long time at that level before losing capacity, some will hold initial capacity for a long time and then start to lose capacity, some will start slowly losing capacity from day one, and any other possible combinations.  It is just the nature of rechargeable batteries.

FWIW, don't try to micromanage your battery and just use the Mac.  If you reach a point in time where the working time on battery is not long enough to meet your needs, then start to worry or just get the battery replaced.

Mar 15, 2022 9:40 PM in response to vedaant240

No it’s not normal.I had the same issue.I had it plugged in all the time and after six months every two weeks it would increase the cycle count and reduce the battery health by 1 percent until I was at 94%.This would happen exactly at two weeks intervals.I spoke to a technician and he said to reset the SMC now it’s fine.He also recommends if you are going to keep it plugged in then once a month unplug it and let it drain until you get the low battery critical warning then you can plug it in and recharge it.

MacBook Air m1 battery health 96% after 6 months of use and 109 cycles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.