Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screenshots not showing on desktop

I have a macbook pro running on iOS 12.1 macOS Monterey. Today I had to restart my computer during class because it was frozen. After the restart, my files and screenshots on my desktop disappeared. They weren't physically showing on my desktop but they were in the desktop folder in finder.

Something else I noticed after the restart was that whenever I took a screenshot (command+shift+4), they were not popping up in the bottom right corner of my screen to edit, or on my desktop. However, when I went to the desktop folder in finder, the screenshots were there.

I thought this was happening because I was running on iOS 11, so I updated my software and I am still having the problem. I have tried just about everything the other blogs say but I am having no luck.

I know that my screenshots are going to my desktop folder, but I would like them to show up on my actual desktop background. Any tips? Thanks!

Posted on Feb 9, 2022 11:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 7:40 AM

claudia927 wrote:

I have a macbook pro running on iOS 12.1 macOS Monterey. Today I had to restart my computer during class because it was frozen. After the restart, my files and screenshots on my desktop disappeared. They weren't physically showing on my desktop but they were in the desktop folder in finder.

Something else I noticed after the restart was that whenever I took a screenshot (command+shift+4), they were not popping up in the bottom right corner of my screen to edit, or on my desktop. However, when I went to the desktop folder in finder, the screenshots were there.

I thought this was happening because I was running on iOS 11, so I updated my software and I am still having the problem. I have tried just about everything the other blogs say but I am having no luck.

I know that my screenshots are going to my desktop folder, but I would like them to show up on my actual desktop background. Any tips? Thanks!

Monterey macOS 12.2 is the current stable release.

Make changes to your preferences— where to save...

Shift Command 5 >Options

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/take-a-screenshot-or-screen-recording-mh26782/mac

If you Control click on your Desktop you can change your Desktop background:

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2022 7:40 AM in response to claudia927

claudia927 wrote:

Monterey macOS 12.2 is the current stable release.

Make changes to your preferences— where to save...

Shift Command 5 >Options

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/take-a-screenshot-or-screen-recording-mh26782/mac

If you Control click on your Desktop you can change your Desktop background:

Feb 10, 2022 10:02 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I’ve tried that and it still isn’t showing on my desktop. Even when I create a new Word document or save an image to my desktop, it does not show up.

Also, for some reason, I am unable to right click and control click on my desktop. I have all my tabs closed out and I have force quit and relaunched finder.

Screenshots not showing on desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.