Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages maxing CPU

Running Monterey 12.2 and have had this issue on every version so far where Messages if left open for a day or so, suddenly just maxes the CPU and causes the temp to sit at 100c which then makes the machine throttle.

i have to force close messages to clear it, once I load it again, its fine for a day or so.

this happens if I'm using the messages app or just leaving it idle in the background.

The machine has been freshly formatted, but still getting the exact same issue.

Machine is a MBA 2020 M1 512GB/8GB

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 1:19 AM

3 replies

Feb 10, 2022 2:29 AM in response to Matt_Toner

Etrecheck

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

This will include CleanMyMac 

This will include BitDefender 

This will included Norton Antivirus

Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus

McAfee

MacKeeper

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Feb 10, 2022 1:33 AM in response to Matt_Toner

Is there a specific reason to leave Messages open and active all the time ?

One does realize that even when the application is closed and Non Active, if the Messages Application is configured the same way on an iDevice and Message in iCloud is enabled on the all iDevice, any time a message is received, the Messages Application on the computer should alert the use of any new message.

Feb 10, 2022 2:11 AM in response to PRP_53

just work flow, WhatsApp and messages sit on their own desktop as there is a lot of conversation/workload that is shared between it daily and it's much easier than opening and closing it time I need it.

There must be a memory leak or something within that app that causes this, as after a format and fresh install (not even restored from backup) I have the exact same issue.

or there is something within my message history that is triggering it.

Messages maxing CPU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.