Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email support

I have replied to an email and it has come up in my sent email however there is no grey curved arrow. Does this mean the person I was emailing hasn’t received my email?

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 4:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 5:07 AM

No, Mail on a Mac does not have receive receipts you will see in the Messages app.

The grey curved leftwards pointing arrow will be seen in the In box. It is an indicator that you have set a reply to the item visible in the In Box. If you click on that arrow Mail will show you the mail item sent in response.

If you see a mail in the Sent box it is the part of the correspondence which has been sent (by you) and therefore needs no indicator that it has been sent. It is implicit in being in the Sent box.

Occasionally see a rightwards pointing arrow and these are indicators that your incoming mail has been forwarded to a different email address.

The convention is left goes back to the originator, and right goes onwards to a new recipient. The model is taken from the way we read text from left to right. I guess this is changed in languages where text is read from right to left, not to mention vertically! Is it Japanese which is read top to bottom in columns then right to left across a page?

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2022 5:07 AM in response to Alvoss45

No, Mail on a Mac does not have receive receipts you will see in the Messages app.

The grey curved leftwards pointing arrow will be seen in the In box. It is an indicator that you have set a reply to the item visible in the In Box. If you click on that arrow Mail will show you the mail item sent in response.

If you see a mail in the Sent box it is the part of the correspondence which has been sent (by you) and therefore needs no indicator that it has been sent. It is implicit in being in the Sent box.

Occasionally see a rightwards pointing arrow and these are indicators that your incoming mail has been forwarded to a different email address.

The convention is left goes back to the originator, and right goes onwards to a new recipient. The model is taken from the way we read text from left to right. I guess this is changed in languages where text is read from right to left, not to mention vertically! Is it Japanese which is read top to bottom in columns then right to left across a page?

Feb 10, 2022 5:12 AM in response to Raicya

Yes but when I replied yesterday, this arrow didn’t show up even though the email I sent was in the ‘sent’ folder.

I re -sent the email today and now I have this arrow. So I was thinking maybe the email I sent yesterday didn’t get to her? Just seems weird that the email I sent came up in my sent folder but didn’t have the reply arrow?

Email support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.