Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MAC Addresses in Personal Hotspot

Whats happening with the MAC Addresses listed in the screenshot below?

I believe they are Virtual (not HW) MAC Addresses created when using Private WiFi Address checkbox in network properties when using Personal Hotspot on iPhone SE 2020.

Strangely they all have a missing digit ZERO in one of the 6 pairs of numbers.

Is it a bug or is it intentional? And if so, WHY??

iPhone SE, iOS 15

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 7:55 AM

5 replies

Feb 10, 2022 10:44 AM in response to j0hn4

Turning hotspot off would rather defeat the object, as that is currently my method of connecting my iPad4 to the internet, especially when out and about.

You didn't mention that in your initial post.

OK, that is your choice.

Are you out of the house and want to use Wi-Fi, see this Apple article: Use captive Wi-Fi networks on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204497

You can also check which app use Mobile Data, go to Settings -> tap Mobile network ->  scroll down to apps -> turn off per app.

You can also turn Off the Hotspot when you ar back home.

I wish you luck with your search.

Feb 10, 2022 9:01 AM in response to Raicya

The MAC Addresses are not from a router, the lease(s) are being dished out by the Personal Hotspot service on my iPhoneSE2

Before the new Private WiFi Address option, and if it is turned off, then the address is resolved to the iDevice name.

It is the iPhoneSE2 which is allowing connection to it's Personal Hotspot which is mis-reporting the MAC address in it own Data Settings

The iPad4 receives a hotspot lease with complete MAC, which is how I managed to compare an see the missing ZERO

Feb 10, 2022 8:34 AM in response to j0hn4

Strangely they all have a missing digit ZERO in one of the 6 pairs of numbers.

Is it a bug or is it intentional? And if so, WHY??

You should ask whoever entered the MAC addresses into the router.

Use private Wi-Fi addresses too here for all my devices & consistently entering the MAC addresses is definitely better.

MAC Addresses in Personal Hotspot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.