Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I create storage space on MacBook Pro's HD

I have moved (to an external hard drive) and then deleted many large files from my HD in an attempt to create more storage on the main drive (SSD) on my 2016 MacBook Pro. According to the "file size" column on Finder, I am using 140 gb of storage; but "info" on the HD says that 650 gb is being used.

How do I access the missing 510 gb of space that is not accounted for?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 5:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 7:39 PM

Hi Glenn.

Please click on the Apple logo (top left corner) then select about this Mac.

Click on the Storage tab.

Click on Manage.

Selecting Documents, for example, will present you with detailed information that will help you to identify the names and locations of large files.

Howard

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 10, 2022 7:51 PM in response to howarduns

The screen snapshots that I included in my reply were not posted.

Take 2

Please click on the Apple logo (top left corner) then select about this Mac.

Click on the Storage tab.

Click on Manage.

Detailed information about the files on your Mac will be displayed.

Selecting Documents, for example, will present you with detailed information that will help you to identify the names and locations of large files.

Howard

Feb 10, 2022 7:58 PM in response to Glenn Radford

I would say your SSD is using 650GB of storage as being reported by "Get Info". The "file size column" in the Finder is not showing everything on the SSD. I believe the storage space indicated at the bottom of a Finder window when you highlight a folder on the volume should show the same thing as the "Get Info".

Make sure your backups have all completely transferred to the external media, otherwise a lot of "deleted" items will still be on the SSD within an APFS snapshot waiting to be transferred to the backup media. Not intended to be insulting, but also make sure the Trash has been emptied (can be easy to forget to check if you are concentrating on "moving" files).

Reboot the laptop.

Are you using any cloud file syncing services which may be refilling the drive?

Are there multiple user accounts which may hold data that can be moved or deleted?

You can also use OmniDiskSweeper to see where the largest files/folders are located. Data in any APFS snapshots will not show up.

How do I create storage space on MacBook Pro's HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.