Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I pair my HomePod minis with my LG smart tv - to listen to them instead of the TV speakers

I have the home app, and my two speakers - as well as the 4K Apple TV are in the same “room” in the app … but I can’t figure out how to get the sound from the tv to come out of the HomePod minis instead of the tv speakers.

what do I need to do to make this happen ?

OLED55G1PUA,

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 6:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 6:46 PM

It all depends on where the content is originating.

If you source your media content from an Apple TV 4K or such (which can send audio to the HomePods) and HDMI to the LG TV, yes.

If you’re attempting to use HomePods as an external speaker for (from) an LG TV (via Bluetooth, AirPlay, etc), no.

Various TVs and other devices can have an AirPlay receiver, you need an AirPlay transmitter here. That transmitter might be an Apple TV 4K, or various other Apple devices, for instance.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2022 6:46 PM in response to jphavelin

It all depends on where the content is originating.

If you source your media content from an Apple TV 4K or such (which can send audio to the HomePods) and HDMI to the LG TV, yes.

If you’re attempting to use HomePods as an external speaker for (from) an LG TV (via Bluetooth, AirPlay, etc), no.

Various TVs and other devices can have an AirPlay receiver, you need an AirPlay transmitter here. That transmitter might be an Apple TV 4K, or various other Apple devices, for instance.

Feb 11, 2022 12:56 PM in response to jphavelin

Depending on the age & features of your LG and ATV4K models, you shouldn't have trouble setting up your HomePods as the default audio output destination on your Apple TV.

This article explains it all pretty well: Use HDMI ARC or eARC with your Apple TV 4K (2nd generation).

Note: even if you have the older ATV4K and a TV without [e]ARC support, you can setup your 1st-gen ATV4K to send all audio to your homepods (by default or temporarily). In this case, only content playing via ATV4K will use the homepods (not content from the Smart TV or other HDMI-connected devices).

How can I pair my HomePod minis with my LG smart tv - to listen to them instead of the TV speakers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.