Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Software Update in macOS 11.6.3 broken? How can I fix?

I (like many others, it seems if I look at "I have this problem too on Software update stuck "Checking for updat… - Apple Community) have been hit with Software Update getting stuck. In System Preferences, it never gets beyond "Checking for updates...".

The System is running macOS 11.6.3 and there should be a Safari update because of the zero day security issue (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT213091).

Something already seemed wrong with software update as I did get a notification 'please install Monterey' a few days back, but this is an older MBP and Monterey is not supported on it.

The system has been freshly re-installed a few weeks ago and no antivirus junk or whatever runs on it. It has 43GB free disk space.

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 3:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 6:30 AM

Very much agree on most all stated in the reply above

Ever since the release of Big Sur macOS 11 in November 2020 - the Software Update applet has been flaky and unreliable - IMHO.

This also coincided with the decision of Apple to cease offering Standalone updates.

This has led to having to find workarounds.

To that - when happens when this computer is restart in Safe Mode and then run the Software Update applet ?

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2022 6:30 AM in response to Gerben Wierda

Very much agree on most all stated in the reply above

Ever since the release of Big Sur macOS 11 in November 2020 - the Software Update applet has been flaky and unreliable - IMHO.

This also coincided with the decision of Apple to cease offering Standalone updates.

This has led to having to find workarounds.

To that - when happens when this computer is restart in Safe Mode and then run the Software Update applet ?

Feb 11, 2022 8:07 AM in response to Gerben Wierda

You are welcome and thank you too.

Do come back to the ASC Forums, ( Apple Support Communities ) in the future, if / or when additional question may arise.

Prime example of the Flakiness of Software Update Applet.

Have an IMHO which some may find interesting or Bunk.

The Fact that all iOS Devices run only one type of CPU - ARMS based - the updates are uniform for all devices.

The Fact the macOS runs on both Intel and ARMS M1 CPUs - now the fun starts and is fraught with Issues.

Feb 11, 2022 5:37 AM in response to PRP_53

This command hangs indefinitely too and there is no output beyond "Finding available software". This was also mentioned in the thread I linked to.

Basically, the software update system seems to be in disarray. That is a bug anyway (hanging is never acceptable behaviour). And as this computer is almost clean, it hardly can be a result of corruption by something that was installed apart from what Apple has installed.

Is Software Update in macOS 11.6.3 broken? How can I fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.