Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does "Limit IP Address Tracking" work?

I can find no information on Apple regarding this feature, other than some mention of it regarding email. I did not find it in mail. I found it in sys pref>Network.

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 5:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 6:06 AM

It routes your external email content through aggregated and obfuscated servers. That way, everybody is using the same IP address so they can’t tell it is you.

However, I wouldn’t put too much trust in this system. It is trivially easy to include unique URLs in your e-mail so that you can be individually tracked, regardless of your IP address.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2022 6:06 AM in response to Whickwithy

It routes your external email content through aggregated and obfuscated servers. That way, everybody is using the same IP address so they can’t tell it is you.

However, I wouldn’t put too much trust in this system. It is trivially easy to include unique URLs in your e-mail so that you can be individually tracked, regardless of your IP address.

How does "Limit IP Address Tracking" work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.