Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Read messages on iPhone are showing unread in Apple Watch

After the last update on my phone, messages that I have read on my phone still show as unread on my watch. Is there a fix for this?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 7

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 1:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 2:29 PM

Hi, I received a lot of bad advice about this issue, and people kept saying there was no way to sync messages between iPhone and Apple Watch. This is not true. I had the same problem, and I was able to resolve it. It just requires making sure your iPhone and your Apple Watch are both syncing to iCloud. Try this (from your iPhone):

Settings > Apple ID > iCloud > Messages

If the toggle button is off, turn it on.

If the toggle button is already on, turn it off and then back on.

Good luck!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2022 2:29 PM in response to dlolex

Hi, I received a lot of bad advice about this issue, and people kept saying there was no way to sync messages between iPhone and Apple Watch. This is not true. I had the same problem, and I was able to resolve it. It just requires making sure your iPhone and your Apple Watch are both syncing to iCloud. Try this (from your iPhone):

Settings > Apple ID > iCloud > Messages

If the toggle button is off, turn it on.

If the toggle button is already on, turn it off and then back on.

Good luck!

Feb 11, 2022 2:38 PM in response to deggie

Hi, all I can tell you is it's working for me. I literally just received a text message on my iPhone and it was mirrored to my Apple Watch. When I checked the message on my iPhone, the "unread" indicator disappeared from my Apple Watch right before my eyes. This was not the case until I went into the iCloud two days ago and flipped the toggle for "Messages" off then back on.

Also, you might try looking in the Watch app settings and making sure everything is set to mirror.

I know this is a frustrating issue, but if I got it to work, I would assume others can too. Please let me know how things turn out.

Feb 11, 2022 2:27 PM in response to Nightflyre9

Sorry, but if you were told that activating iCloud Messages would remove messages from your Apple Watch when you say delete it from your iPad you were given bad information. To date this is not the case although it would be nice if it was. The Apple Watch is the one exception to how that works since it gets mirrored notifications from the phone.

And yes, I have done everything you said. Maybe in watchOS 9

Read messages on iPhone are showing unread in Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.