Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Containers Folder Filled with Apps No Longer Installed

So, as the title suggests, the Containers folder in my Library is filled with huge files from apps I no longer have installed. That is, mostly they're from games I tried but later uninstalled. Some are from apps I no longer have too, like Word or Outlook. Can I delete these? If not, what do I do? It's a huge waste of space for something I played once or twice or an app I no longer use.

Mac mini, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 6:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 7:21 PM

The ~/Library/Containers are the sandboxed Apps and you most certainly can remove old containers that you do not use. Just be careful not to remove ones you do use.

3 replies

Feb 13, 2022 11:53 AM in response to James Brickley

Perfect. Thanks for the help. How do I know which ones I do still need, though?

Also, does the same apply for folders in the Application Support folder? I see several folders from apps I uninstalled, which the uninstaller app apparently missed.

Why does macOS leave all these leftovers? Seems like a huge waste of space. Your Mac just gets filled with files you no longer need or use. And I don't know which files I can safely remove as a basic user.

Feb 13, 2022 12:47 PM in response to om36mo

om36mo wrote:

Perfect. Thanks for the help. How do I know which ones I do still need, though?

If you don't know what it is then don't delete it. Only delete the stuff you recognize as having deleted or no longer have installed.

Also, does the same apply for folders in the Application Support folder? I see several folders from apps I uninstalled, which the uninstaller app apparently missed.

Yes, same thing applies.

Why does macOS leave all these leftovers? Seems like a huge waste of space. Your Mac just gets filled with files you no longer need or use. And I don't know which files I can safely remove as a basic user.

It's not macOS it's the developers who wrote the application. They are responsible for installing and uninstalling their App and they typically do a terrible job at it. In the Enterprise world, we frequently end up tearing apart an installer and re-doing it to ensure it works the way it is supposed to. It is not just macOS and it's far worse on Windows and Windows provides an uninstall feature that macOS lacks.

If done correctly an install and uninstall on macOS can be delightful. You open a DMG, drag the App to /Applications and when you drag it to the Trash scripts within the App remove the extraneous clutter. If installed as a package there should be an uninstall script somewhere that cleans up fully. But it is rare to see this done and done properly.

While I don't condone Mac utility software such as cleaners and App removers as they frequently cause issues where people come here with a problem and it turns out to be some rogue CleanMyMac app that is a fake one. Just be careful where you download such tools. Make sure it comes from the vendors website directly or is on the App Store. If outside of the App Store, make sure it's signed by a developer. If macOS complains about it not being signed nor notarized you should think twice before installing it.

Containers Folder Filled with Apps No Longer Installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.