Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems With Setting Up MacBook Pro For Streaming

Hi,

I am having problems in setting up streaming from an external hard drive to an apple tv via my 2015 MacBook Pro. I use this setup whilst abroad in my in Greece so the setup has to be very specific, I would like to do the following-;

All media (films and music is stored on a 4TB Seagate external hard drive connected to my MacBook Pro via USB3. I then connect the laptop to a 4K apple tv box using an ethernet cable (using an ethernet) USB3 adaptor) and then finally from the apple tv box to a newish tv via a HDMI cable

Note; I use a similar setup at home but from a 5K iMac and never had any problems and also used this method abroad but with a much older MacBook Pro, the one I am attempting to use was purchased second hand and is a 13" Retina model early 2015 with an i5 processor, on board graphics and 8GB of ram.

I hope someone can help me with this problem, reading through the various forums I think it may be a problem with settings naming of libraries etc etc .

Many Thanks to anyone who has the time to help me sort this out.

blackrockguy

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 12, 2022 1:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 4:38 AM

Once AirPlay is connected, I can stream any audio-visual content on my Mac or on any external drive: music, video, TV program files ... whatever.

I use VLC player (by choice) and what I see on the TV is exactly what's on the Mac. In the case of music, I can use a playlist or not. The TV mirrors whatever I do on the Mac: a 2016 MBP 13" Retina no touch 8GB RAM.

Incidentally, I can do the same with our two 2020 iMacs, the 2020 MBP 13" Retina Touch (all 16GB RAM) and my Late 2015 21.5" Retina iMac with 8GB RAM.

All the Roku box does is allow connection.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2022 4:38 AM in response to blackrockguy

Once AirPlay is connected, I can stream any audio-visual content on my Mac or on any external drive: music, video, TV program files ... whatever.

I use VLC player (by choice) and what I see on the TV is exactly what's on the Mac. In the case of music, I can use a playlist or not. The TV mirrors whatever I do on the Mac: a 2016 MBP 13" Retina no touch 8GB RAM.

Incidentally, I can do the same with our two 2020 iMacs, the 2020 MBP 13" Retina Touch (all 16GB RAM) and my Late 2015 21.5" Retina iMac with 8GB RAM.

All the Roku box does is allow connection.

Feb 14, 2022 1:14 AM in response to ku4hx

Hi,

Sorry for the late response to your kind post. It would seem from your reply that there should be no problem in doing what I am attempting to do however, I have a couple of questions.

All my music files, films etc are on the external drive and are set up in playlists for various users, when you stream to your Roku box are the files just listed or can you use the content in playlists as this is an important requirement for me hense the use of the Apple TV since my home system is setup around the same components other than at home I use an iMac 5K machine, your thoughts would be much appreciated.

blackrockguy

Problems With Setting Up MacBook Pro For Streaming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.