Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual SIM: Setting Wifi calling on one, Wifi and Cellular on the 2nd

I read a previous conversation but am not sure I really saw an answer. That conversation, from "unkn" is below.

Here is my situation. I have dual SIMs. One is AT&T in the US, one is Orange in France. I go back and forth from the US to France but spend most of my time in France. My US number is the e-SIM. My French number is a physical SIM.

-I want my primary number (my France number ) to support cellular and Wi-Fi calling.

-I want my secondary (USA number) to only be on for Wi-Fi calling. I do not want to have "cellular" on because then AT&T charges me $10/day.

Is this possible and how? When I had separate phones, I set my US phone to Airplane mode but turned on Wi-Fi.

This was a user's previous question. They went into more detail. It had been answered by "i_rina"

"My US primary SIM provider allow Wifi-Calling even when overseas as if it was a domestic calls but if when roaming, if I turn my phone off Airplane mode, I get immediatly charged a $10/day fee as soon as my phone connect to a roaming network even if not receiving or calling outside of Wifi-Calling.

In the past I was simply keeping my US phone on Airplane mode with just Wifi when overseas. I have a second phone with my European SIM that I turn on and was providing me calls, data and was making Wifi hot spot for the US phone.

I just switch a Dual SIM iphone. My US primary SIM is now an e-SIM and the EU secondary SIM remains a physical SIM.

Question 1: How can I deactivate not only data Data but all cell connectivity on my primary SIM when Roaming and keep only the secondary SIM on for cellular call and data when roaming BUT keep Wifi-Calling on the primary SIM when roaming that I can still receive / emit call when I have Wifi?"

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Feb 12, 2022 6:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2022 1:01 PM

Hi Calif2Paris,

Yes, this is possible. While the iPhone doesn't allow airplane mode on only 1 of the 2 lines (it's both or neither), there is another way to accomplish this. Calls/texts from one line (A) over Cellular Data is only enabled if you are currently on a call with the other line (B), or the line (A) has no service. You may be able to manually select an incompatible network for the line (A) to connect to, which will result in no service and enable calls/texts over Cellular Data. Another way to accomplish this, is to log into your AT&T account and remove both "day pass" and "pay per use" features from your line (A). This will result in no roaming/no signal to your line and enable calls/texts over the Cellular Data from your line (A).

Below is a screenshot in use. Airplane mode is off. eSIM AT&T line (A) has both "day pass" and "pay per use" removed, thus no service, and enabling calls/texts over Cellular Data from data only line (B). Enjoy!

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2022 1:01 PM in response to Calif2Paris

Hi Calif2Paris,

Yes, this is possible. While the iPhone doesn't allow airplane mode on only 1 of the 2 lines (it's both or neither), there is another way to accomplish this. Calls/texts from one line (A) over Cellular Data is only enabled if you are currently on a call with the other line (B), or the line (A) has no service. You may be able to manually select an incompatible network for the line (A) to connect to, which will result in no service and enable calls/texts over Cellular Data. Another way to accomplish this, is to log into your AT&T account and remove both "day pass" and "pay per use" features from your line (A). This will result in no roaming/no signal to your line and enable calls/texts over the Cellular Data from your line (A).

Below is a screenshot in use. Airplane mode is off. eSIM AT&T line (A) has both "day pass" and "pay per use" removed, thus no service, and enabling calls/texts over Cellular Data from data only line (B). Enjoy!

Feb 13, 2022 7:40 AM in response to Calif2Paris

Hi Calif2Paris,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today with your eSIM and cellular data.

Only one number at a time will use data. This article can show you how to turn off cellular data for either number: Using Dual SIM with an eSIM. Specifically see the section under "Change your cellular data number".

If you see the section under "Learn about Dual SIM status icons" you'll see that both numbers can use Wi-Fi. However, if Wi-Fi calling isn't working, it may be a carrier issue related to availability outside the country where the number is from. You may want to check with them.

Have a fantastic day!

Feb 15, 2022 10:29 AM in response to Calif2Paris

Hi again Michel,

Here are some more screen shots which might help./

1. When I turn the "Cellular Plan" to

France (Carrier 1) to ON

USA (Carrier 2) to OFF

When I turn both Cellular plans on it shows signal strength and WiFi for both. But again, I don't want the AT&T to have a "signal". I only want it to be on WiFi.

Finally, I tried to turn the phone to Airplane Mode and at the same time, turn Wi-Fi on. This prevents the phone from connecting to a carrier. I get part of what I want!

I get the AT&T showing only Wi-Fi but no carrier. This is good! This means I am not getting charged $10/day by At&T but can still receive calls and messages when on Wi-Fi.

BUT, it also prevents my France line (Orange) from connecting to the carrier and ONLY lets it work in Wi-Fi mode which is not good as I walk the streets of Paris with no signal.

Ideally, the Status Icons would look something like:

( Carrier connect signal strength) Orange Wifi

(No carrier) AT&T Wi-Fi

My guess is that this is not possible. But it should be. When people are overseas, they don't want to be incurring daily charges on the domestic line.

Hope this makes sense.

David

Feb 15, 2022 9:40 AM in response to MichaelB2019

Hi Michel, I appreciate your reply. However, this does not solve the problem.

If I turn "Cellular Plan" off for my US number, it also appears to basically remove this plan completely. It no longer shows up as a status icon. Please refer to the screen shot below. This is what appears when I turn Cellular Plan to off for my carrier 2 (US) number. It does not show up.

If you look at "Learn about Dual SIM status Icons", you will see three example screen shots. Carrier 2 shows:

1. No Service
  2. "4 bars" Carrier 2 wi-fi
  3. "4 bars" Carrier 2 using cell data.

I do not want the "4 bars" to be showing. I do not want carrier 2 (in this case my US AT&T number) to be connected to the 4G/5G system because that means I am getting charged $10/day.

Again, when I had a separate US phone, while in France, I would set that phone to Airplane mode and then turn on Wi-Fi. This would mean it would not try to connect to a cellular carrier but could connect to Wi-Fi. I was able to make wi-fi calls, receive imessages and Whatsapp messages, etc.

It is not a carrier issue because until two days ago when I went from two phones to one with Dual SIM, my US phone worked fine with Wi-Fi calling.

I don't know if it is possible to talk to try to explain this or not.

Best,

David

Dual SIM: Setting Wifi calling on one, Wifi and Cellular on the 2nd

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.