Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Entire folder disappeared

Hi all,

for the first time in my life, I saw an entire folder disappear from my external HD. No other folder was affected but this one (on which I was working). I had a couple of word documents open from it and, just like someone else in a thread from February 6th) I was asked to save them in another folder.

when I went back to relocate it into its original folder, the folder was gone. It had dozens of subfolders and hundreds of files in .doc, .pdf, .jpeg etc.

I tried Stellar Data Recovery but found nothing (I am now performing the deep scan).

I read that others had this issue. Is there a virus around we don't know about yet?

Any help is enormously appreciated, as I have been working on those files for 2 years and now all seems lost... :(

I hadn't done the last update (which I did after the loss of the folder)

P.S. I had to choose the topic High Sierra because I couldn't find Monterey, my OS.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 12, 2022 4:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2022 9:33 AM

nefelissima72 wrote:

1. Oh, I have 2 short questions:
if the issue is with my mac, why did it erase only that one folder on my external HD?
2. Can I reinstall documents and programs from a time machine?

1 - from above - that may have been a result of CleanMyMac Application.

2 - from above - Issues that may exist on the older computer ( existing computer setup ) will be migrated to the New Computer ( Clean Installation of High Sierra ) . This would badly pollute the new Original and Pristine installation of the new OS.

3 - One can Move Personal Files backup once the Clean Installation is performed and  Time Machine Backup has been established.

4 - IMHO - it would be best to only install new application etc Directly from the Developer or the Apple Apps Store.

5 - Due Diligence on New Applications and make sure they are High Sierra compatible.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2022 9:33 AM in response to nefelissima72

nefelissima72 wrote:

1. Oh, I have 2 short questions:
if the issue is with my mac, why did it erase only that one folder on my external HD?
2. Can I reinstall documents and programs from a time machine?

1 - from above - that may have been a result of CleanMyMac Application.

2 - from above - Issues that may exist on the older computer ( existing computer setup ) will be migrated to the New Computer ( Clean Installation of High Sierra ) . This would badly pollute the new Original and Pristine installation of the new OS.

3 - One can Move Personal Files backup once the Clean Installation is performed and  Time Machine Backup has been established.

4 - IMHO - it would be best to only install new application etc Directly from the Developer or the Apple Apps Store.

5 - Due Diligence on New Applications and make sure they are High Sierra compatible.

Feb 13, 2022 5:14 AM in response to nefelissima72

Since this is an " After-the-Damage " is done - it would be reasonable to concluded the documents were not important enough to protect them before this mishap from occurring.

The " Why this happened" in the first place is a very wide-open question.

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

This will include CleanMyMac 

This will include BitDefender 

This will included Norton Antivirus

Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus

McAfee

MacKeeper

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Feb 13, 2022 2:37 AM in response to nefelissima72

Do you have a Rescue Plan In-Place. This comprises having 3 Backups using 2 methods and 1 Off Site incase of Theft, Loss or Natural Disasters.

A Time Machine Backup  is very useful in this situation and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS

For addition purposes - two Tested Bootable Clones each to separate external drives. This is insurance incase the upgrades goes sideways. At least one Tested Clone and / or Time Machine Backup should be Off - Site

Feb 13, 2022 7:29 AM in response to nefelissima72

Thank you for taking the time to post the Full Report.

There are may unneeded and down right dangerous Applications installed.

Any one or combination of these Applications could have contributed to this mishap of " Disappears files "

Even after, if it is decided to Remove the below mentioned Applications - a Re-Installation may or may not be required to replace any removed, altered, modified or altered Elements of the OS that these applications have inflected on the Computer

Q 1 - More than one antivirus app - This computer has multiple antivirus apps installed.

Antivirus software: CleanMyMac, Avast, Apple, and Malwarebytes

A 1 - CleanMyMac - please take a moment to read the first 600 posting regarding this specific Application This will include CleanMyMac  and strongly suggest remove as per the " Developers Instructions "

A 1 - Avast AntiVirus - please take a moment to read the first 600 posting regarding this specific Application. Avast AntiVirus

and strongly suggest remove as per the " Developers Instructions "

A 1 - Malwarebytes is fine but does not need to the running all the time . The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Q 1A - /Applications/AdGuard for Safari.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/AdGuard

Q 1A - AdGuard please take a moment to read the first 600 posting regarding this specific Application. Ad Guard and strongly suggest remove as per the " Developers Instructions "

Q 2 - System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.

A 2 - This speaks for itself. Anytime the OS in so heavily modified - the risk of unintended results are prone to happen.

Q 4 - Kernel extensions present - This computer has kernel extensions that may not work in the future.

A 4 - This speaks for itself. Anytime the OS in so heavily modified and extensions - the risk of unintended results are prone to happen.

Feb 13, 2022 8:29 AM in response to nefelissima72

To be forwards about this - there is no one application to do, what I sense, one what's to do.

Between the Bad Actor Applications and Heavily Modified OS - the time to Spring Clean versus the next option presented would be very time consuming and detailed work.

The Option is not suggested without serious consideration and planning.

All Applications, extensions, drivers will need to be reinstalled as new.

All Personal Data and files will need to be backup up or Copied to as Safe Place >> Externally and then moved back after the Clean Installation of High Sierra

The Below would WIPE ALL DATA from the drive and there is No Recovery - Period.

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of High Sierra would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run High Sierra.

Once that is done read on for preparing the Destination computer 

>> Only works on Intel Based Apple Computers.

If this does Not Apply to this computer Disregard >> Extra Special Notation regarding the Touch ID equipped Apple Computer. About Startup Security Utility and Must Enable from Recovery Mode the ability to boot from External Drive Before Attempting 

1 - Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer.

2- Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. 

3 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

4 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

5 - Formatting for macOS 10.13 High Sierra and below requires HFS Journaled with the GUID Partition Map

6 - Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. 

7 - Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. 

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

Feb 13, 2022 5:07 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks for the suggestions which work as an after-the-damage strategy.

What I am trying to understand right now is how could this have happened, i.e. that an entire folder disappeared while all the others remain in their place.

For the sake of brevity:

I am not an idiot and I know how basic computer principles work

I have not trashed any of my files in a drunken stupor

I have already tried common practices (including using a third-party software – in my case StellarData Recovery) which have been able to recover part of the files

Thanks to anyone who wants to help me understand what went wrong. I know what I am supposed to do in the future.

Feb 13, 2022 5:35 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you for the insight in your logic about what is valuable and what is not.

I will run the app Ethrecheck (apparently ok, vs other apps you mention – one wonders "how would we know this?"...)

Oh, well. I will post here the results.

Let me just say that, for me, it's crucial to understand the why this happened, in order to prevent such a thing from happening in the future.

Anyway, thank you for the time and effort you put into answering my question.

Feb 13, 2022 8:07 AM in response to PRP_53

Oh, no!!! I am horrified!

This is truly scary. I got it second hand from my sister and this might explain why we each used a different antivirus, etc.

But this is beside the point.

Could you recommend how should I proceed? I thought I only have Avast, but now I see it's a bad program.

Perhaps there is a software somewhere that can help me correct all of the points highlighted? From A2 to A4 to Q4 etc...?

Thanks so so much!

Entire folder disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.