Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lightning to 3.5 mm adapter

I bought an apple lighnting to 3.5 mm jack for my iphone 13 pro max , from the first day it had problems like distortion while moving the jack , sometime i had to rotate it 180 degrees to get it working or the spotify app would hang when i would plug in the jack then i had to remove the jack rotate it 180 degrees , then it would work.

I visited the apple service center , they wanted me to demonstrate the problem - i couldnt at that time , i came home and i plugged in the adapter - while playing the song suddenly there was a continous loud pitch noise from the headphones and the song started playing from the iphone speakers simultaneously, i took it like that to the service center 5 mins drive and got the jack replaced. Now my concern is , the loud pitch from the headphones and the simulataneous playback from iphone speakers , would this have damaged my iphones sound IC or something ?

P.S. - sorry for such a long post.

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Feb 12, 2022 8:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 4:24 PM

Hi Dr-anonymous,

Thanks for the follow up post. The likelihood of an adapter causing damage to a device is slim to none. The only possibility of that happening is more related to external factors. Was the adapter forced into a port that it didn't properly fit in to? When the adapter was connected to the port, was it bent by someone pushing on the connector? Those are examples of scenarios where an adapter would cause damage to a port.

If you replaced the adapter and the audio is working properly now, then it sounds like the defect was with the previous adapter and there is no defect with the phone.

Cheers!

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2022 4:24 PM in response to Dr-anonymous

Hi Dr-anonymous,

Thanks for the follow up post. The likelihood of an adapter causing damage to a device is slim to none. The only possibility of that happening is more related to external factors. Was the adapter forced into a port that it didn't properly fit in to? When the adapter was connected to the port, was it bent by someone pushing on the connector? Those are examples of scenarios where an adapter would cause damage to a port.

If you replaced the adapter and the audio is working properly now, then it sounds like the defect was with the previous adapter and there is no defect with the phone.

Cheers!

Feb 13, 2022 2:31 PM in response to Dr-anonymous

Hi Dr-anonymous,

We understand you're having issues with audio. We're happy to offer some guidance.

Now one detail you haven't provided, is the loud sound still playing through both the headphones and device speakers when you attempt to play audio after the repair?

If it is, then it sounds like something is damaged/not working properly, and you'd want to take it back to the location you had the device serviced at.

If the audio is working properly now, then it sounds like the repair was able to fix whatever was damaged with the Lightning port.

Cheers!

Feb 13, 2022 11:28 PM in response to barberlives123

The problem was with the lightning to 3.5 mm adapter and I got the adapter replaced.now ,everything is working fine , my question was that faulty adapters like this - can they damage my iPhone also ? Because at one point there was a loud pitch noise from the headphones and the song was playing completely fine from the iPhone speakers simultaneously.

Lightning to 3.5 mm adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.