Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable Deep Fusion on iPhone 13 Pro Max?

My brand-new iPhone 13 Pro Max makes HORRIBLE photos with people's faces in them.

It produces oversharpened, blotchy, HDR-ed photographs.

In addition, it is very slow since the Photo preview takes a second or two until the iPhone has "cooked" the photo with the disgusting Deep Fusion look.

How can I disable this unwanted feature? I found no obvious solution so far.

My old iPhone 8+ has always given me realistic, what-you-see-is-what-you-get natural photos.

I hope there's some hidden switch to disable this, otherwise my expensive Pro phone is actually a toy for teenagers.

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Feb 13, 2022 2:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2022 2:24 PM

Dear Oliver, thank you so much for your tips.

Unfortunately, picture styles are not the issue here. I am aware of picture styles and use the standard one.

In the meantime I have researched this and it appears the culprit is not Deep Fusion but iPhone's ugly and cartoonish HDR processing. It cannot be turned off, it's built-in and we can't avoid it.

I wish someone had told me this before I splurged my cash on this crippled toy. My old iPhone 8 blows it out of the water for mobile

photography. I guess Apple should have named this one the iPhone 13 Not Pro at All...

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2022 2:24 PM in response to Oliver_Lo

Dear Oliver, thank you so much for your tips.

Unfortunately, picture styles are not the issue here. I am aware of picture styles and use the standard one.

In the meantime I have researched this and it appears the culprit is not Deep Fusion but iPhone's ugly and cartoonish HDR processing. It cannot be turned off, it's built-in and we can't avoid it.

I wish someone had told me this before I splurged my cash on this crippled toy. My old iPhone 8 blows it out of the water for mobile

photography. I guess Apple should have named this one the iPhone 13 Not Pro at All...

Mar 2, 2022 9:34 AM in response to JazzAgga

Hi JazzAgga,

thanks for the update!

At first I didn't believe that I cannot turn off the HDR processing and I did some research.

I found this page

Adjust HDR camera settings on iPhone - Apple Support

where it says:

"By default, iPhone takes photos in HDR (for the rear camera and the front camera) when it’s most effective. iPhone 12 models and iPhone 13 models record video in HDR to capture true-to-life color and contrast."

In the next paragraph it is documented on how to turn off HDR processing BUT iPhone 12 + 13 are missing.

This I do not understand.

I will give Appel feedback on

Product Feedback - Apple

so that they also allow us iPhone 12 + 13 owners to turn of HDR if we want to.

Maybe you give them feedback too. The more people want this feature the sooner Apple will react ;-)

Cheers

Oliver

Feb 26, 2022 2:13 AM in response to JazzAgga

Hi JazzAgga,

since I have the german version of the iPhone 13 Pro Max, I can only provide you with tips regarding the german version of iOS15.

From what you describe, it looks like that on your iPhone‘s Camera settings for „Fotografische Stile“ has a setting other than standard.

I also had an iPhone 8 Plus and I remember that during the setup of my new iPhone 13 I was asked if I wanted to set the „Fotografische Stile“ (which I skipped).

So my proposal is that you experiment with the Camera setting (or just set it to „Standard“ ;-) ).

On the german version of iOS 15 I open the „Einstellungen“ App, go to „Kamera“ and open the „Fotografische Stile“.

There I can change the settings.

Hope this helps.

Oliver

P.S. If your problem still persists, ask the Apple Support. They will do all their best to solve your problem.

Mar 23, 2022 7:20 AM in response to Mike-ren

Hi Mike-ren. Yes, that is the issue a lot of users are facing. The horrible sharpening and brightening of the face. Also, people's eyes seem to be made brighter and colorized. And yes - the preview and the final image are so different, you actually never know how much "adjustment" the iPhone will apply. Your only option is to sit and wait for a second or two until the artificial intelligence is finished editing.

How to disable Deep Fusion on iPhone 13 Pro Max?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.