Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I permanently disable the loud speaker function for phone calls on my iPhone?

my iPhone is playing up again, and turning on the loud speaker function without me intending to do so, almost deafening me when it does this. I've had this particular iPhone replaced once already because of this, and I've had the same problem on an earlier iPhone; I'm sick of dealing with this, and would just like to semi-permanently disable the loudspeaker function, as Apple can't program it correctly or safely (hearing damage is not fun).

Any ideas on how to disable the speaker function for phone calls?

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 4:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 2:56 PM

or the speaker function flicking on at random is a design fault which you yourself have acknowledged, necessitating my question (FYI, I didn't ask any questions about the proximity sensor, if you re-read my question, I asked if it was possible to disable the speaker function).

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2022 2:56 PM in response to LD150

or the speaker function flicking on at random is a design fault which you yourself have acknowledged, necessitating my question (FYI, I didn't ask any questions about the proximity sensor, if you re-read my question, I asked if it was possible to disable the speaker function).

Feb 24, 2022 4:21 PM in response to LD150

You "acknowledged no such thing"?

Once again, I must have been imagining it when you wrote in your post: "I know it is the proximity sensor in many cases".

You're the person who confused my information about a faulty proximity sensor with being the purpose of my original post (FYI, again, it wasn't).

But I am glad that you're no longer following "this strange thread".

Good luck.

Feb 24, 2022 1:58 AM in response to LD150

It's a pity that the speaker function on an iPhone can't be disabled, while I've got my phone settings set as you've suggested, the problem stays the same with the phone - my iphone's touch screen is faulty & activating inappropriately (for example, activating other functions after the Lock Screen has been enabled).

Checking that "the speaker icon is not illuminated before putting the phone to my ear" is actually a rather stupid comment; touch screen is faulty and activating incorrectly. Yesterday when I took a call, the speaker function flicked on as I put the phone to my ear - I know this because as you suggest, I keep an eye on the screen for this very problem.

I've had this iPhone replaced once already because of this problem (and I've had this problem of the speaker function becoming enabled at random during a phone call).

how do I permanently disable the loud speaker function for phone calls on my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.