Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey Login Screen

I've been using Apple / Mac's since the Apple II came out so I've had a great deal of experience with the various OS's. I remember when System 7 came out and then eventually the MacOS X series. My problem is that Apple seems to be wanting to make my iMac operate and look more like my iPhone. I just recently upgraded from Catalina to Monterey. Is there no way to change the "wavy purple" login screen? I'm a traditionalist I guess and getting old. I hate the screen and it would appear Apple doesn't want you to change it as it "symbolizes" this version of the OS. Catalina was fine. I skipped Big Sur so not sure what its login screen looked like.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 4:01 PM

or,

if you are the sole user (not even a guest account) AND file vault is turned off you can go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options and set "Display login window as" to "List of users". then your login screen matches your desktop background.

if you are using file vault or have multiple users, the above will not work.  if that's your situation, you will need to wait for apple to address this. it may be worth your time to send feedback directly to apple. Feedback - macOS - Apple

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2022 4:01 PM in response to fredfromredwater

or,

if you are the sole user (not even a guest account) AND file vault is turned off you can go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options and set "Display login window as" to "List of users". then your login screen matches your desktop background.

if you are using file vault or have multiple users, the above will not work.  if that's your situation, you will need to wait for apple to address this. it may be worth your time to send feedback directly to apple. Feedback - macOS - Apple

Monterey Login Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.