Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a macbook pro 2012 as an external display with a macbook pro 2020

Is it possible to use my older macbook pro (2012) as an external display/monitor with my new 2020 macbook pro? If so, what kind of cable do I need to connect them?

MacBook Pro 13″, 11.6

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 6:55 PM

3 replies

Feb 21, 2022 12:02 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you for your reply. I've been doing a little more research (no offense to you intended) and have a follow-up question. If I were to use an Apple Thunderbolt 3 Male (plugged into my 2020 macbook pro) to Thunderbolt 2 Female Adapter, then get a Thunderbolt 2 male to Thunder Bolt 2 male cable to join the two Thunderbolt 2 ports to each other, might that work?

Feb 21, 2022 12:30 PM in response to pnpowles

If you would like to enable File Sharing, you can do that with a simple Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection through your Router that does not cost as much as the US$50 ThunderBolt-3 <-> ThunderBolt-2 adapter plus another US$50 for that cable.

if you would like the display of one Mac to appear in a window on the other Mac, you can do that easily using Screen Sharing. Again, it works across you local network.

If you would like to use the MacBook Pro 2102 as a display, you are out of luck -- you need a stand-alone display or a TV set. Or an iPad..

Using a macbook pro 2012 as an external display with a macbook pro 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.