Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard Drive Not Showing Up In Time Machine

Hey guys, having a bit of trouble with Time Machine. I have a 2TB external Seagate HDD in which there are two partitions (1 ExFAT and 1 Mac OS Extended Journaled as per Disk Utility). The drive connects fine and I see it mounted in my Finder sidebar and on my desktop, and I'm able to drag and drop files into it or out of it.

However, I'm looking to use the Mac OS Extended partition for Time Machine backups as well but although I can see the drive showing in the above mentioned locations however when I try to select a disk for time machine to be set up, the drive/partition is not showing up at all. I checked the advanced settings and it is not an excluded drive. I've also ensured that there is more than enough space on the partition for the backup. What is wrong here, and how can I fix this? I am on Mac OS Monterey 12.1, running on my old Early 2015 13" MBP.

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 10:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 10:48 PM

As you know, macOS Monterey, uses the APFS format for its drives. In turn, under Monterey, Time Machine can now backup to APFS-formatted destination drives. HFS+ (aka, Mac OS Extended) is no longer required. One of the advantages of APFS is more efficient backups. On the other hand, APFS was designed especially for SSDs, but still works with HDDs.

Regardless, you may find the following article enlightening. Note that even though it was written around macOS Big Sur, it equally applies to Monterey.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2022 10:48 PM in response to matthui1995

As you know, macOS Monterey, uses the APFS format for its drives. In turn, under Monterey, Time Machine can now backup to APFS-formatted destination drives. HFS+ (aka, Mac OS Extended) is no longer required. One of the advantages of APFS is more efficient backups. On the other hand, APFS was designed especially for SSDs, but still works with HDDs.

Regardless, you may find the following article enlightening. Note that even though it was written around macOS Big Sur, it equally applies to Monterey.

Hard Drive Not Showing Up In Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.