Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro freezes during macOS Monterey update

I have a 2017 MacBook Pro with touchbar.

i have tried to install Monterey at least 7 times. including in safe-mode. every time, during the restarts, my macbook pro will not turn on until the battery dies. Once that happens, it wants to start the install over. i have deleted the installer 4 times and redownloaded. There are no errors, just locks up until the battery dies and I then plug it back in.

This has been happening during updates for at least 2 years. Previously, when it would finally start, it would finish the update.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Feb 15, 2022 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2022 2:28 PM

Is the User Profile accurate and correct MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.4 ?

There might be the answer. This version of Bug Sur is badly out of date. The current version is not Big Sur 11.6.4.

Have seen several user attempting the upGrade to Monterey with out dated older versions of Big Sur and older versions of macOS.

Suggest update Big Sur to latest available version before attempting the Monterey upGrade.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2022 2:28 PM in response to mnmrmstrd7

Is the User Profile accurate and correct MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.4 ?

There might be the answer. This version of Bug Sur is badly out of date. The current version is not Big Sur 11.6.4.

Have seen several user attempting the upGrade to Monterey with out dated older versions of Big Sur and older versions of macOS.

Suggest update Big Sur to latest available version before attempting the Monterey upGrade.

Feb 16, 2022 2:53 AM in response to mnmrmstrd7

Welcome and do - time permitting - keep us updated on the progress.

Point # 11 - Do you have a Rescue Plan In-Place. This comprises having 3 Backups using 2 methods and 1 Off Site incase of Theft, Loss or Natural Disasters. A Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS

Point # 12 - For addition purposes - two Tested Bootable Clones each to separate external drives. This is insurance incase the upgrades goes sideways. At least one Tested Clone and / or Time Machine Backup should be Off - Site

Feb 18, 2022 9:56 AM in response to ShapingYouth

Download and run this app so we can find more information about your installation.

https://etrecheck.com/upgrade

It shows what is launched and other information and is very useful in finding causes of problems. After you first launch the app make sure you check Enable full disk access in the box in lower left.

After running the app use the app's feature to paste to clipboard. Then paste it in the text box for a reply in this forum click on the addition text icon. This is because the normal reply text box limits how much you can type.

No personal identifiable information is contained if the app output. The app was written for a person who is contributor to these Apple Support Communities

Feb 18, 2022 9:31 AM in response to mnmrmstrd7

I tried this 'update Big Sur' approach and it freezes doing that as well. I'm stuck at version 11.6.3 and it just beachballs at "checking for updates" when I try to update it and have repeatedly checked availability of space and removing partial installs...I've tried rebooting too and the lag and drag on the system won't go away, just has compromised use entirely at this point.

MacBook Pro freezes during macOS Monterey update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.