Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I setup my new iMac without having access to my laptop?

Posted on Feb 15, 2022 1:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 5:16 PM

You don't need your laptop. The iMac will set itself up. Just follow/respond to the prompts when you first turn it on and you're all set.

If you're referring to transferring your files from your laptop to your new iMac, then that depends. If your files are on the cloud, then install/configure the same on your new iMac.

If the files are stored locally on your laptop, then you'll have to set up file sharing on your Mac (or Laptop) and then just transfer whatever files you want.

If it's a MacBook, you can use Migration assistant as well to transfer everything to your new Mac.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2022 5:16 PM in response to Reggie1reg

You don't need your laptop. The iMac will set itself up. Just follow/respond to the prompts when you first turn it on and you're all set.

If you're referring to transferring your files from your laptop to your new iMac, then that depends. If your files are on the cloud, then install/configure the same on your new iMac.

If the files are stored locally on your laptop, then you'll have to set up file sharing on your Mac (or Laptop) and then just transfer whatever files you want.

If it's a MacBook, you can use Migration assistant as well to transfer everything to your new Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.