Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AutoCAD Lt 2013 for Mac and M1 Macbook Pro

I may be trying to fit a square peg in a round hole here. I am very happy with AutoCAD Lt 2013 and I'm really into the new MacBook Pro with the M1 chip. But I can't download AutoCAD on it.

I need my hand held for a minute while I make the switch from PC to Mac. It's like driving around in a Corvette for years and really enjoying it. When suddenly I find myself behind the wheel of a BMW, and I am instantly aware of next-level engineering. The BMW may not be quite as powerful as the Vette, but it truly is a pleasure to drive.

Does anyone know how to solve this error: AutoCAD Lt 2013 can only be installed on System drive formatted with Journaled HFS+ (Mac OS Extended Journaled) file system.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Feb 15, 2022 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 1:48 PM

--------

Starting from Mac OS 10.13 (High Sierra), a new file system is introduced called APFS (Apple File System) to replace HFS+. Only the following versions of AutoCAD /LT for Mac are compatible:  

• versions 2016 (with update 2016.5)
  • versions 2017 (with an update 2017.2)
  • versions 2018 
  • versions 2019

Solution: 

Consider reformatting the hard disk as  Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Make sure the volume is not Case-sensitive. Once Mac OS is reinstalled, proceed to install AutoCAD for Mac. 

[...]

Alternatively, consider formatting the disk volume as APFS and install AutoCAD for Mac version 2016 or higher.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-for-mac/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/2011-AutoCAD-for-Mac-wont-run-on-hard-drive-with-Mac-OS-Extended-Case-sensitive-Journaled-format.html

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2022 1:48 PM in response to mtnarch

--------

Starting from Mac OS 10.13 (High Sierra), a new file system is introduced called APFS (Apple File System) to replace HFS+. Only the following versions of AutoCAD /LT for Mac are compatible:  

• versions 2016 (with update 2016.5)
  • versions 2017 (with an update 2017.2)
  • versions 2018 
  • versions 2019

Solution: 

Consider reformatting the hard disk as  Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Make sure the volume is not Case-sensitive. Once Mac OS is reinstalled, proceed to install AutoCAD for Mac. 

[...]

Alternatively, consider formatting the disk volume as APFS and install AutoCAD for Mac version 2016 or higher.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-for-mac/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/2011-AutoCAD-for-Mac-wont-run-on-hard-drive-with-Mac-OS-Extended-Case-sensitive-Journaled-format.html

Feb 16, 2022 1:30 PM in response to mtnarch

Hi there mtnarch,

We understand you're unable to install AutoCAD Lt 2013 on your MacBook Pro due to an error about the file system.

If this software requires the macOS Extended (Journaled) file system, learn more about it with the details below from File system formats available in Disk Utility on Mac:

"Mac OS Extended

Choose one of the following Mac OS Extended file system formats for compatibility with Mac computers using macOS 10.12 or earlier.

• Mac OS Extended (Journaled): Uses the Mac format (Journaled HFS Plus) to protect the integrity of the hierarchical file system. Choose this option if you don’t need an encrypted or case-sensitive format.
  • Mac OS Extended (Journaled, Encrypted): Uses the Mac format, requires a password, and encrypts the partition.
  • Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled): Uses the Mac format and is case-sensitive to folder names. For example, folders named “Homework” and “HOMEWORK” are two different folders.
  • Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled, Encrypted): Uses the Mac format, is case-sensitive to folder names, requires a password, and encrypts the partition."

This page may also help: Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Regards.

Feb 17, 2022 6:19 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for that - in my case I just decided to stick with Microsoft in lieu of making the big switch to Mac. While your solution would have probably worked, I wouldn't be benefitting from latest tech on MBP. Plus, when opening existing CAD drawings during my 30-day trial of AutoCAD 2022, the MBP was thinking way too long and froze for 2 whole minutes at one point.

AutoCAD Lt 2013 for Mac and M1 Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.