Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Erase all content and data" not appearing in system preferences drop down menu

I am trying to erase all data from my 13in. MacBook Pro(w/ touch bar), and when selecting 'System Preferences', it doesn't give me the option to "Erase all content and data" in the drop down menu. I have also tried shutting down my mac and holding the power button waiting for the startup menu to appear and that doesn't work either. And yes, macOS Monterey is installed.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 15, 2022 5:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 12:26 AM

If you can't use Erase All Content and Settings

System Preferences includes Erase All Content and Settings only when using macOS Monterey on a Mac with Apple silicon or a Mac with the Apple T2 Security Chip. If this feature isn't available or doesn't work on your Mac, follow these steps instead:

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2022 12:26 AM in response to orPkooBcaMelppA

If you can't use Erase All Content and Settings

System Preferences includes Erase All Content and Settings only when using macOS Monterey on a Mac with Apple silicon or a Mac with the Apple T2 Security Chip. If this feature isn't available or doesn't work on your Mac, follow these steps instead:

Feb 15, 2022 6:46 PM in response to orPkooBcaMelppA

orPkooBcaMelppA wrote:

I am trying to erase all data from my 13in. MacBook Pro(w/ touch bar), and when selecting 'System Preferences', it doesn't give me the option to "Erase all content and data" in the drop down menu. I have also tried shutting down my mac and holding the power button waiting for the startup menu to appear and that doesn't work either. And yes, macOS Monterey is installed.

Same as here—

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

You can you can submit your Apple Feedback for your issue if you have a Intel T2 / or and M1 SoC.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html

otherwise see: <If you can't use Erase All Content and Settings>

ref: Erase all content and settings on Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212749

"Erase all content and data" not appearing in system preferences drop down menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.