Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Suggested folders for moving PDFs are unknown to me

When I have a pdf open in preview on my 2016-ish MacBook Air and go to “file,” then click “move,” it prompts me and asks where. When I select the drop down menu, it shows me a bunch of folders I don’t recognize. Is my laptop possessed by an evil presence or what?

I could not screenshot the drop down menu so I took a janky photo with my phone.

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 15, 2022 9:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2022 9:46 PM

Per chance do you have hidden files enabled in the Finder? That is, did you use the following key combination toggle: <shift><cmd><.>? Some of those locations look like what would normally be hidden files/folders.

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 16, 2022 8:48 AM in response to Mayorbanana9876

If you use the key combination I mentioned it will allow Finder to show you any hidden folders/files on your Mac. This key combo is basically a toggle on/off switch for this feature. That is, repeating the combo will re-hide those hidden folders/files ... and the way it should remain for normal use of your Mac.

To get an example, just open a Finder window. Then use that key combo and notice that a number of "faded" folders/files should appear. These would normally be hidden. Performing the combo again, should make them "disappear."

Suggested folders for moving PDFs are unknown to me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.