Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

multiple displays on Monterey 12.2

Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) with an AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB for graphics. I have 3 external displays plugged via usb-c and 1 usb-c hub with a usb-c port for power and a hdmi port for my 4th external display. This setup used to work perfectly prior to Monterey update. Now my 4th display (the one via HDMI via the usb-c hub) is not detected ("no signal").

From my readings, it seems that this is a bug with Monterey. I've also tried the couple of fixes (automatic graphics switching or power adapter) I found online but it didn't work.

Any help?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 9:39 AM

i tried reset nvram and that worked for me

Similar questions

6 replies

Feb 16, 2022 11:56 AM in response to toobs4

to get a Mac display to become active, you need the Mac to query the display, and the display to answer with its name and capabilities. Otherwise, the display will not be shown as present, and no data will be sent to the display. "No signal detected" is generated by the DISPLAY, not by the Mac.

This query is only sent at certain times:

• at startup

• at wake from sleep — so momentarily sleeping and waking your Mac may work

• at insertion of the Mac-end of the display-cable, provided everything on that cable is ready-to-go

• on invoking Option-(Detect Display) button in Displays preferences (from another display)

Note: Displays supported through Docks require that the dock get working and stable FIRST. This may take longer than a directly-connected display, so the initial query to the display may go un-answered. You may need to manually invoke the query again.

Feb 21, 2022 9:36 AM in response to toobs4

I'm having similar issues... I also have an older MBP 2019 i9 16" running Big Sur 11.6.3... I can plug in all 4 monitors and it works no problem, and has for years. However with my new MBP 2021 M1 16" running Monterey 12.2, I can only get any 2 at a time to work. If I have 2 connected and add a 3rd, then the 3rd either doesn't display, or it does and one of the first 2 goes dark. I've tried using hubs, direct connection, reboots, sleep/wake, detect displays, etc... basically it seems like Monterey 12.2 won't support more than two external monitors (at least for me). Either that or it's an M1 issue.

multiple displays on Monterey 12.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.