Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound Apple TV 4K when playing atmos, via Yamaha Rx-a3040

I see this been asked in the past, but I don’t see any resolution. When I’m trying to play any Atmos content through apply tv 4k 2 gen, I get no sound. Sound works fine if not an Atmos content.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 1:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 2:24 PM

I glanced at the specs for your AVR and Yamaha noted that Atmos support would come with a 2014 firmware update... Presumably there have been more updates since then and you're sure it's running the latest & greatest?

Do your Apple TV audio settings report "Atmos available"? You're confident about your (v2.1) HDMI cable(s)?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2022 2:24 PM in response to alexfromfinksburg

I glanced at the specs for your AVR and Yamaha noted that Atmos support would come with a 2014 firmware update... Presumably there have been more updates since then and you're sure it's running the latest & greatest?

Do your Apple TV audio settings report "Atmos available"? You're confident about your (v2.1) HDMI cable(s)?

Feb 17, 2022 4:50 PM in response to bgmeek

Yes, correct, directly connected to the receiver. Receiver output is a projector.

it is displaying PCM anytime it’s the Atmos content, that I’m trying to play. Only does PCM when it’s Atmos.

I spoke with Yamaha support today, they’ve gone through the settings with me and have confirmed that the issue is with source, as thanks the signal being sent from the source. Further, I tried latest firetv 4k with Atmos support today, in place of AppleTV and it is working fine, Atmos context plays fine, sound and all. so everything is pointing to the problem is with AppleTV.

No sound Apple TV 4K when playing atmos, via Yamaha Rx-a3040

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.