Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer SIM card to new iPhone

I bought a new iPhone (12) and having a problem with transferring/setting up from old phone (XR) via iCould backup. Do I need to transfer sim card from old phone to new phone for this to work???

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 5:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 5:08 PM

iPhones do not store any data on a SIM card; it’s only purpose is to map your phone number to your carrier’s network. You can use Quick Start, back up the phone to your computer, or iCloud backup. What is your iCloud backup issue?

See→Transfer data from your previous iOS or iPadOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2022 5:08 PM in response to Sparty96

iPhones do not store any data on a SIM card; it’s only purpose is to map your phone number to your carrier’s network. You can use Quick Start, back up the phone to your computer, or iCloud backup. What is your iCloud backup issue?

See→Transfer data from your previous iOS or iPadOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Feb 16, 2022 5:09 PM in response to Sparty96

The SIM card only has the cellular network information. It has no other data or apps. You do not need the old SIM card installed in the new iPhone to transfer data. This can be done over a Wi-Fi Network. Eventually you will need the old SIM card installed in the new iPhone to setup the Messages and FaceTime apps that use your phone number.

I recommend that you try the process again by installing the SIM card in your new iPhone, connect to a Wi-Fi Network and start the data transfer process again.

Axel F.

How to transfer SIM card to new iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.