Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Really flakey wifi behaviour on new MacBook Pro M1

I've been using a new 16" MacBook Pro M1 since launch without too much trouble. Wifi behaviour however has been really shocking.

Regardless of where I am (home, office, elsewhere) the device seems to take forever to search for networks. This morning, I came into the office (a known network) and for about a minute no networks were shown. Turning Wifi off and on doesn't do anything to help.

I've had occasions where the wifi icon in the macOS header has an exclamation mark in it, is struck through. It's just persistently flakey, and really annoying.

Once it's on a network, it seems to be okay. It seems to be slow at times, but does remain on a network at least.

I'm running macOS Monterey Version 12.0.1 (21A559).

Oli 16" MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 7:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 8:34 AM

Wi-Fi slow — current accommodations include:

• Updating to the very latest version of Monterey.

• Checking the [√] ask to Join new networks check box:

AND purging the list of potentially-available networks in this pane:

System preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > (Advanced) ...

... to leave ONLY the networks you might really join:

>> all of these reduce the number of networks your Mac is evaluating on a moment-by moment basis, looking for a better connection.

“Limit IP address Tracking” has been shown to be an issue on some Networks:

• set

System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > (advanced) >TCP/IP > IPv6 ... to Link-local only

On may cause routing activity that interferes with your networking. Off will make it hard to find printers and other services on your network.

--------

If you continue to have trouble after using these steps, create a new named Network "Location" -- a collection of settings applied "all at once" when you select it. Every new named "Location" you create starts with all defaults, which lets you walk away from any bogus settings that might be causing you trouble:

How to use network locations on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2022 8:34 AM in response to OliOC

Wi-Fi slow — current accommodations include:

• Updating to the very latest version of Monterey.

• Checking the [√] ask to Join new networks check box:

AND purging the list of potentially-available networks in this pane:

System preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > (Advanced) ...

... to leave ONLY the networks you might really join:

>> all of these reduce the number of networks your Mac is evaluating on a moment-by moment basis, looking for a better connection.

“Limit IP address Tracking” has been shown to be an issue on some Networks:

• set

System Preferences > Network > Wi-Fi > (advanced) >TCP/IP > IPv6 ... to Link-local only

On may cause routing activity that interferes with your networking. Off will make it hard to find printers and other services on your network.

--------

If you continue to have trouble after using these steps, create a new named Network "Location" -- a collection of settings applied "all at once" when you select it. Every new named "Location" you create starts with all defaults, which lets you walk away from any bogus settings that might be causing you trouble:

Really flakey wifi behaviour on new MacBook Pro M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.