Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 15.3.1 search contacts doesn't work

Since ios 15.3.1 update, the search within Contacts doesn't work. When you enter letter(s) into search box, phone displays No Results. Only way to get to them is scroll or select first letter via right hand index.

Prior to software update, entering each letter into search box refined search until you get to specific single contact.

iPhone XR

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2022 6:54 AM

Been dealing with this for days. Finally working again. In Contacts, touch Groups in upper left corner, then ALL the options. Not sure how or why there are some separate lists, but IT FINALLY WORKS AGAIN!!!

31 replies

Jun 1, 2022 1:05 AM in response to emagrant

Okay guys, I had the same problem: searching contacts in the ios contact app stopped working ;-( -- Just rebooting the machine didn't work for me, BUT... I just deleted the contact app fully from my phone (yes, this is possible... ;-) and reinstalled it from the app store (within a second) and... wow, it worked again... Good luck, my friends! :-) Let me know, if this worked for you!

Nov 9, 2022 10:11 AM in response to pinkpopcorn13

I copied and pasted the solution that worked for me... it's from HBFetter:

HBFetter

User level:

Level 1

13 points

May 17, 2022 6:54 AM in response to emagrant

Been dealing with this for days. Finally working again. In Contacts, touch Groups in upper left corner, then ALL the options. Not sure how or why there are some separate lists, but IT FINALLY WORKS AGAIN!!!

Oct 11, 2022 3:12 AM in response to emagrant

hi Everyone

it’s simple. 1-in icloud.com choose contacts and in the groups select all contacts and on setting at the left bottom choose select all and then select export vCard

2-after that refresh page and add new group and at the bottom select import vCard and import exported vCard and import

3-sign out icloud.com and on the iPhone connect network and select contacts and refresh it

1. problem solved,

May 22, 2022 8:58 AM in response to HBFetter

I can’t believe they ruined the best part of using an iPhone - the search. Now you get more about CNN then you do about your own contacts on your phone. Passwords kept can’t be accessed because the intermediate version of contacts on spotlight search doesn’t provide “notes” data. This sucks apple - stop making me see CNN bufunery! Fix this issue!

Jul 21, 2022 2:11 AM in response to HBFetter

Yes this works! Look Upper left “groups” link in contacts area, i had one email account I never use unchecked. After selecting “all” at the bottom, magically my name contacts works again? Nice find! But Apple - why the H would selecting an email account under groups be freaking connected to the ability to search names in the contacts? That’s just weird and stupid Apple! Much as we pay for these things, that one dumb problem cost me tons of look up time. Grrrr.

Jul 23, 2022 10:22 AM in response to HBFetter

Bingo! Thank you so much for the Groups tip! After the update somehow All iCloud had been unselected, and only All Gmail was selected. By reselecting all iCloud inGroups, now contact search works again, specifically finding all contacts where the search words are anywhere in the contact record, like in Company or Address. Thank you, thank you, thank you, HBFetter, and absolutely NO thanks to Apple!

Aug 26, 2022 6:53 AM in response to HBFetter

I FOUND YOU...

Thank you, HBFetter. Your tip worked like a charm! I tapped Contacts, then Groups in upper left corner, and found that one Group had somehow been unticked - the one that had all my contacts! I selected it again, and voila! the Search function is working again in Contacts.

AND THEN I FOUND ME!

While I was looking to reactivate the Contacts Search function I uncovered an awfully useful shortcut that should be better publicised: Hold down the Contacts icon briefly to find your own record!

Sep 17, 2022 9:38 AM in response to alma1090

That never did work on my wife's new iphone. The tech at call support apparently had not heard of this

problem. Was not helpful at all, although he tried. Kept saying "lets try this..."

Unfair to him to put him in the 'field' with inadequate training.

Asked him to escalate problem. Apparently he had trouble getting a senior advisor. I finally hung

up after being on hold tooooooo long.

ios 15.3.1 search contacts doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.