Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What can I not do in Pages that I could do in iBooks Author?

What can I not do in Pages that I could do in iBooks Author? What are the reasons for these differences? Are they due to limitations in the current EPUB standards or are they due to an Apple business decision?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 3:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2022 6:00 PM

Read Apple's Import your iBooks Author book into Pages for Mac - Apple Support article, particular the iBooks Author features that aren't compatible with Pages. Any reasons or business decisions are solely known by the Pages product team, and they will not be responding in this user-supported public community, nor can I speculate about them.

Pages has an export (translate) feature that generates an EPUB3 document. No one here knows what EPUB3 features it presently supports or what Apple may add in the future.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2022 6:00 PM in response to Frank Lowney1

Read Apple's Import your iBooks Author book into Pages for Mac - Apple Support article, particular the iBooks Author features that aren't compatible with Pages. Any reasons or business decisions are solely known by the Pages product team, and they will not be responding in this user-supported public community, nor can I speculate about them.

Pages has an export (translate) feature that generates an EPUB3 document. No one here knows what EPUB3 features it presently supports or what Apple may add in the future.

Feb 17, 2022 8:11 PM in response to VikingOSX

I did read the Apple support article cited above prior to posting my question. Indeed, it was the vagueness of that explanation that prompted me to come here where I hoped to find people conversant with Pages, iBooks Author and the EPUB standard. The predominant recommendation in that document was to make a linear QuickTime movie instead of something that behaved interactively in iBooks Author. If Pages does not do the interactive things that the EPUB standard supports then that is clearly an Apple business decision. Such things can be inferred with a modicum of reflection.

What can I not do in Pages that I could do in iBooks Author?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.