Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Phone overheating while Apple Music is on

After last update IOS 15.3.1 when am listen music on Apple Music my IPhone 13 Pro is overheating, why ?

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Feb 18, 2022 1:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2022 12:45 PM

Let’s define “overheating”. If the phone’s internal temperature exceeds safe levels the phone will shut off and display a message saying it needs to cool down. If this does not happen the phone is not overheating.

When you are listening to Apple Music on a cellular connection it will use your 5G network to stream music; 5G is a power hog, and, by extension, will cause the phone to get warm. This should not happen if you are connected over Wi-Fi.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2022 12:45 PM in response to Lex997

Let’s define “overheating”. If the phone’s internal temperature exceeds safe levels the phone will shut off and display a message saying it needs to cool down. If this does not happen the phone is not overheating.

When you are listening to Apple Music on a cellular connection it will use your 5G network to stream music; 5G is a power hog, and, by extension, will cause the phone to get warm. This should not happen if you are connected over Wi-Fi.

Feb 18, 2022 1:42 AM in response to Lex997

It surely may not be due to Apple Music. Have tried other music apps?

It is not clear here in your post about the ambient temperature in your area where you are using the iPhone. However --> Keeping iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch within acceptable ...

Store the device where the temperature is between -20º and 45º C (-4º to 113º F). Don’t leave the device in your car, because temperatures in parked cars can exceed this range.

Use iOS devices where the ambient temperature is between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F). Low- or high-temperature conditions might cause the device to change its behaviour to regulate its temperature. Using an iOS device in very cold conditions outside of its operating range might temporarily shorten battery life and could cause the device to turn off. Battery life will return to normal when you bring the device back to higher ambient temperatures. Using an iOS device in very hot conditions can permanently shorten battery life.

Feb 18, 2022 4:41 AM in response to SravanKrA

So, it seems that the problem is appear when I control Apple Music via Apple Watch.

I performed next steps:

1. Start listens music using Apple Music on IPhone.
  2. Start to control Apple Music using Apple Watch embedded music app. If switch fast music then iPhone will overheating. So it’s very interesting. I am using Apple Watch 5Series, with last updates.

Feb 22, 2022 11:42 AM in response to Lex997

Lawrence, to your point:

I get a message on screen indicating that the phone is overheating, and the phone prevents me from dismissing that message, or interacting with the app visible behind the message.

I am also getting this overheating problem since the latest iOS update (15.3.1).

This overheating behavior occurs during my use of the phone when I have navigation running on screen, podcast playing over bluetooth, and the phone is charging on a maglock mount.

I have owned this phone for over a year, and have used the phone in this exact way hundreds of times. The phone has never overheated before the latest update to 15.3.1 was applied.

Phone overheating while Apple Music is on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.