Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I reuse the RAM from my late 2013 27 inch iMac with a new 2022 iMac to increase the memory?

I wonder if anyone can advise me?

I have an iMac late 2013 27 inch and with all the Zoom lessons I have to teach these days my computer often crashes or struggles.

I upgraded the RAM to 24RAM successfully and am considering adding 8RAM to make it the maximum of 32 RAM in the hope of even more smooth work. However that will mean wasting some of the RAM cards which I would need to remove.

If I did buy a new 2022 iMac could I use the old RAM cards from my old computer or are they too outdated?

If I bought a new computer with 64 RAM, would there be enough slots left for me to add my old RAM cards if they were compatible?

Very long question/ questions but would appreciate your expert advice.

Mark

Posted on Feb 18, 2022 1:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2022 7:45 AM

No sorry, the RAM Spec's are totally different.

see > Install memory in an iMac - Apple Support

If you want to upgrade a new 27" iMac, I suggest buying directly from Crucial.

https://www.crucial.com/upgrades/apple

An M1 Silicone iMac can not be upgraded beyond the original configuration.

4 replies

Feb 18, 2022 2:25 AM in response to englishmark

I'd say unlikely. We upgraded my wife's 2015 27" iMac Retina from 8 to 16 GB RAM. When she traded it in for a 2020 27" iMac Retina, 3.3 Ghz cpu, I pulled the Crucial memory I had installed for her. It is completely different from that in the 2020 in both appearance and performance specs.

As Apple improves models over time, that includes using higher spec memory modules which of necessity would seem to preclude the use of older RAM.

Can I reuse the RAM from my late 2013 27 inch iMac with a new 2022 iMac to increase the memory?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.